What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 9A Alieron Trim Wedges

dshevick

My RV9 pulls a bit to one side even with the trim adjusted all the way to counter it. I am working with the .pdf "How to diagnose and fix a heavy wing", but the builder said maybe the alieron trim wedge fell off the right alieron. I am not familiar with this piece, and cannot find it in the plans. Plastic RV parts sells one. Thanks David

Heavy wing

Congratulations on the new to you RV9.

There is no "part" called a trim wedge. This would have been added by the builder to try to resolve a heavy wing. I have seen everything from trim tabs to coffee stirrers attached to the aileron.

Keep looking in the archives. The RV9 has a different wing trailing edge than the 6-7-8 and requires different techniques.

On my particular plane, the final solution was moving the aileron hinge bracket to lower the leading edge of the aileron.

Make sure you really have a heavy wing. If you are flying solo, there is a heavy weight sitting in the pilots seat that can seem to make the plane turn left. My usual practice is to try to keep the left tank 6-8 gals less than the right to compensate.

A good way to quantify the amount of heavy wing is to run the heavy side tank until the plane balances and note the amount of fuel required.
Good luck!

Back