What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra hole ...in my finger

steve murray

Well Known Member
Usually I just drill "holes" in my finger ranging in size from .032 safety wire to #30 drill. About a week ago I drilled a "circle" in my finger. Got this from a spinning piece of aluminum tubing as I was drilling out the ID to make a bushing. Sharp tubing cuts quickly through leather gloves and then fingers.

Be safe with those power tools.

Sq4H71GAmQBWOJ2k4-Wni8krm7Vd3Zvqpmlq-VNZY3Z8Ld6yrPuOdAX_9Uxz1F0Kp0k7kN2F2W1tHsz9-rYjBvhdTGGlEsPxWzwLVnsE9HNEz3vyNOxSkHvHBKxuNoyxXKhe5R1Q9SYSUdihoIsRrkR_Qe_0BLibf4cXPaCOF2oBWmmTIsjyKyTAOGKB9hxmb-KfFvgtoTRYAZ-fNuV8Ov1yc3b_WdhFlT6D1Fb94v8NI1YZCNVq2KCTNW2q8gNPmTON0E3ccv4Jb_x0JqzpNwu14Xb82EJeuSzyEUemQdnWsZO5tMj5EkCE1SUQl4Il26VpIOCMEAXJolqexAY6otrRQPHX4MwjrbJlFel10J3koNyDLDJOGFMbuwPfjAXMqV9CBypZfNjJ1k5Zq1IHpbpfH8ZOtM8NnnEXo2tGeZewiEBPH48pl0hgRh3hpsfNWehrx_49P941SYcfls8rv7T5oxZ7Da7ie2uDLRhJ6W19lZJtFtouYmGLTrY6bLIQ-x9R0U172stFDxX1y-gMPSIRp8xufsW9J8OPCOJxkjEze3mlkdeNeIIqpIe2qcePUTK4tCQTkwp8TWw_YtAS276uvrgLeUao7annGgYhuAecGPXMOGJX6hr-JW_XvEBBvqSG3QgYWXBz0B3VvdIUt32J=w888-h1184-no

Yep, that'll do it.

I was using a fly cutter one day when the clamp holding the piece started to slip. My hand was already enroute to grab the piece when my brain kicked in and said "That's really stupid..."

When I am introducing newbies to Vans building, I do explain that at some point you will drill into your finger. You may drill down the nail, just under it.

They look a bit strange but unsurprisingly, everyone has sent a triumphant message saying they 'took one for the build' and joined the club :D

Rite of passage I guess........

A few months back I managed to run a finger pad between the chuck key and the chuck teeth on a 3/8 drill. Yep, bumped the trigger while tightening the chuck. Chews the meat real, real, real well.

As a hand surgeon... I wish VAN's would include my card in every kit. FREE HAND SURGICAL CARE to all VAN's RV'ers!!!!!

I can honestly say that, over a 13-year building process, not once did I drill into a finger. Perhaps that's because, being a dentist, I'm really good with the drill ? :D

ON THE OTHER HAND ? my shop floor had a drop of Danny King's blood due to him snagging his finger on a sharp hole drilled into the firewall that I neglected to debur. Oops. Naturally, I took a Sharpie and ID'd the drop and sealed it with lacquer to memorialize his dedication to my project. ;)

Superglue.......

Cyanoacrylate - It's the future.

Well, TBH it's the past. Developed as a field surgeon technique wayyyy back.

On my first airplane, the RV-4, I drilled right through an aluminum sheet into my finger. That hurt. I went inside and put a bandaid on it. Went back to the garage and proceeded to drill another hole through the same finger. I quit for the night!

It amazed me how long a hole took to heal vs. a cut.

Vic

My great dad

When I was 16 working with balsa airplanes, I drilled thru my finger and the drill broke off. I ran all panicky to my dad and asked what to do. He barely looked up and said, pull it out and put some peroxide on it?. Thanks dad.

I can beat all of you. I ran a sheet rock screw into my finger...into bone....with a non reversible air gun....pinned me about 1? out of reach of a tool box with a screwdriver in it....at work...during lunch time. I was stuck for 45 minutes until the other guys came back.
Yes it came up at the retirement dinner.
Tim Andres

photo

Usually I just drill "holes" in my finger ranging in size from .032 safety wire to #30 drill. About a week ago I drilled a "circle" in my finger. Got this from a spinning piece of aluminum tubing as I was drilling out the ID to make a bushing. Sharp tubing cuts quickly through leather gloves and then fingers.

Be safe with those power tools.

Code:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Sq4H71GAmQBWOJ2k4-Wni8krm7Vd3Zvqpmlq-VNZY3Z8Ld6yrPuOdAX_9Uxz1F0Kp0k7kN2F2W1tHsz9-rYjBvhdTGGlEsPxWzwLVnsE9HNEz3vyNOxSkHvHBKxuNoyxXKhe5R1Q9SYSUdihoIsRrkR_Qe_0BLibf4cXPaCOF2oBWmmTIsjyKyTAOGKB9hxmb-KfFvgtoTRYAZ-fNuV8Ov1yc3b_WdhFlT6D1Fb94v8NI1YZCNVq2KCTNW2q8gNPmTON0E3ccv4Jb_x0JqzpNwu14Xb82EJeuSzyEUemQdnWsZO5tMj5EkCE1SUQl4Il26VpIOCMEAXJolqexAY6otrRQPHX4MwjrbJlFel10J3koNyDLDJOGFMbuwPfjAXMqV9CBypZfNjJ1k5Zq1IHpbpfH8ZOtM8NnnEXo2tGeZewiEBPH48pl0hgRh3hpsfNWehrx_49P941SYcfls8rv7T5oxZ7Da7ie2uDLRhJ6W19lZJtFtouYmGLTrY6bLIQ-x9R0U172stFDxX1y-gMPSIRp8xufsW9J8OPCOJxkjEze3mlkdeNeIIqpIe2qcePUTK4tCQTkwp8TWw_YtAS276uvrgLeUao7annGgYhuAecGPXMOGJX6hr-JW_XvEBBvqSG3QgYWXBz0B3VvdIUt32J=w888-h1184-no

Sq4H71GAmQBWOJ2k4-Wni8krm7Vd3Zvqpmlq-VNZY3Z8Ld6yrPuOdAX_9Uxz1F0Kp0k7kN2F2W1tHsz9-rYjBvhdTGGlEsPxWzwLVnsE9HNEz3vyNOxSkHvHBKxuNoyxXKhe5R1Q9SYSUdihoIsRrkR_Qe_0BLibf4cXPaCOF2oBWmmTIsjyKyTAOGKB9hxmb-KfFvgtoTRYAZ-fNuV8Ov1yc3b_WdhFlT6D1Fb94v8NI1YZCNVq2KCTNW2q8gNPmTON0E3ccv4Jb_x0JqzpNwu14Xb82EJeuSzyEUemQdnWsZO5tMj5EkCE1SUQl4Il26VpIOCMEAXJolqexAY6otrRQPHX4MwjrbJlFel10J3koNyDLDJOGFMbuwPfjAXMqV9CBypZfNjJ1k5Zq1IHpbpfH8ZOtM8NnnEXo2tGeZewiEBPH48pl0hgRh3hpsfNWehrx_49P941SYcfls8rv7T5oxZ7Da7ie2uDLRhJ6W19lZJtFtouYmGLTrY6bLIQ-x9R0U172stFDxX1y-gMPSIRp8xufsW9J8OPCOJxkjEze3mlkdeNeIIqpIe2qcePUTK4tCQTkwp8TWw_YtAS276uvrgLeUao7annGgYhuAecGPXMOGJX6hr-JW_XvEBBvqSG3QgYWXBz0B3VvdIUt32J=w888-h1184-no

Not that I really want to, but just to let you know that I can't see that image. I did see one "hole in a finger photo" many years ago, and that really taught me to not do that.

Sheet Metal Protection

Work in a welding supply store. We sell lots of cut resistant Gloves to oilfield workers.

Some of the better ones that are reasonably priced should work for sheet metal work. Good dexterity + grip technology in the new styles.

Good style for price point and protection ( I use these at work and very happy with them) are the Honeywell P/N 26-913YB same glove in black only 26-913BB. Less than $10 a pair, far less than stitches.

The new ANSI rating system uses a standard test machine and makes it easy to under the level of cut protection. A1 thru A9. The above gloves are rated A6.

The European rating system rates the gloves as follows: Abrasion, Cut Resistance, Tear resistance, Puncture resistance. ANSI only does the cut level.

Leather is not a good choice for cut protection; taken from the Turtleskin website "Leather does not have good cut resistance, in fact the oil in leather lubricates the blade when cut. Leather also does not have good puncture resistance for the same reasons."

Not many gloves are going to protect against drilling the finger however. Just the burrs and sharp edges of sheet metal.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Then you get the glove caught up in the drill bit. See how long you wear those gloves when dealing with -3 rivets.

Back