What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 panel upgrade with Jesse !

pnassar

Starting thinking about upgrading my panel last year. Worked fine with the steam gauges but as always, I wanted more! Requirements included IFR redundancy, ADS-B in and out, and a real deal autopilot.

Met Jesse Saint on VAF and traveled over to his shop outside Ocala. Sat in numerous RVs and compared AF vs Dynon. Ended up going with Dynon after much discussion with Jesse - but was impressed with both.

We emailed CADs back in forth until we found a very clean look. Once started the majority was complete in 1 week ! Everything works great. What a fantastic upgrade. Biggest limitation is my learning curve with all the functionality.

Pictures are below. Special thanks to Jesse Saint. He guaranteed I would be satisfied. That is an understatement !

The plane worthy of such a project !

I

Old panel, well at least the left side

I

Final CAD drawing - Ready to Rock and roll !

30hvwcz.jpg[

The teaser photo from Jesse during day 2 of the project. Old panel is in the back.

34owvsx.jpg[

Flying the finished product over St Augustine Florida

2ryow95.jpg[

Leaving Saint Aviation - I'm the happy camper on the left with Jesse Saint Thanks again Jesse !

2vty16a.jpg[

It was a pleasure working with you, Pete. Finally you have a panel worthy of the rest of the plane.

Thanks for the complements !

If you are running steam gauges and on the fence about upgrading...Just do it ! You will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the complements !

If you are running steam gauges and on the fence about upgrading...Just do it ! You will not be disappointed.

Looks awesome. Not asking for specifics but might I ask what you budgeted for this work and a ballpark figure for the upgrade? Nice to have a vague idea - and I know each plane and each project is different - of what it can run to, especially if anyone is considering buying a completed RV with steam gauges but hopes to upgrade . . .

I have 16.5k in Dynon parts at retail. This does not include the GNS 430W and the PMA audio panel. 20k for a really nice VFR panel with AP and ADS-B in and out and 30K for IFR with backup EFIS are my thoughts.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm just in FL. You could come for vacation, though, and get it upgraded while you play. :)

Peter,

Where did you mount your Dynon GPS antenna? I am debating on glare shield versus top aft of baggage area.

I have 2 GPS antennas, one for the skyview and one for the GNS 430W. Both are under the rear of the cowl on a bracket off the engine mount. This has worked great with no reception issues.

Back