What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fast Stack

dweyant

Well Known Member
Has anyone done there own cables with the Approach Fast Stack System?

It looks like it shouldn't be too hard, just wondering what I might be missing...

Thanks,

-Dan

I've built two planes that use it. The hub handles all the low level signal interconnects and you wire the power and some auxiliary signal connections - the headphone/microphone jacks for example.

It makes installing your avionics a snap in my opinion.

The downside is that you have to have a good idea of how long you want the cables to be and that they are bulky and probably weigh more than an equivalent harness would. There are also more connectors, potentially adding points of failure - though 800 hours of experience in our RV-7A has shown that these are quite reliable. If you decide to swap out avionics it's very easy to have a cable made for the new device and usually all you have to do is make the power connections and plug the cable into the hub.

If you do use it make sure you put the hub in a place where you can easily reach it when everything is in place - this makes it a lot easier to inspect and plug/unplug connectors if you need to.

I've built two planes that use it. The hub handles all the low level signal interconnects and you wire the power and some auxiliary signal connections - the headphone/microphone jacks for example.

The downside is that you have to have a good idea of how long you want the cables to be and that they are bulky and probably weigh more than an equivalent harness would. There are also more connectors, potentially adding points of failure - though 800 hours of experience in our RV-7A has shown that these are quite reliable. If you decide to swap out avionics it's very easy to have a cable made for the new device and usually all you have to do is make the power connections and plug the cable into the hub.

If you do use it make sure you put the hub in a place where you can easily reach it when everything is in place - this makes it a lot easier to inspect and plug/unplug connectors if you need to.

Mark,

Thanks. Did you make the cables yourself, or did you have Tim at Fast Stack make them for you?

I'm considering making the cables myself, and would like to know how feasible that would be.

-Dan

Making the cables yourself largely negates the need for the hub.

It also adds the problem of "what is at fault" if things do not work correctly on initial hookup?
Your cables or the hub?

The downside is that you have to have a good idea of how long you want the cables to be.

I used them for my panel upgrade. It made the install real easy and everything worked correctly the first time. THAT part made using the system worth it.

:cool:

Mark,

Thanks. Did you make the cables yourself, or did you have Tim at Fast Stack make them for you?

I'm considering making the cables myself, and would like to know how feasible that would be.

-Dan

Ah. I completely missed your statement about making them yourself. I had Tim make them for me and didn't regret it. They are made from high quality materials and constructed very well. It would certainly be possible to make them yourself, but given the effort involved you're sort of negating one of the the reasons (and a big one, IMHO) for buying the hub in the first place - time savings and convenience.

I tossed around the idea, and then decided that

A)I am going to building some portion of my harness anyways, no matter what, so I'll have to learn how, and

B)I don't have a lot of equipment that is interconnected. ie, my EFIS talks to my transponder and my EIS, and that's it. I may add a 400W and ARINC box down the line, but not at present. I don't have multiple displays, etc.

If you plan a multiple display panel with lots of interconnections, I could see how the system could make things a heck of a lot quicker and simpler. If your panel is less connected, I'd say it makes more sense to DIY.

Chris

If you are using Approach Systems, just let them do the cables.

There is something very pleasing about plugging everything in, sticking your fingers in your ears just in case and turning the Master on......

Ooooooooooo --------- lights, and radio, and gps, and aaaaaahhhhh

:D

They are good people and deserve our support. They did the mark 1 and mark 2 wiring hub in our 7 and can't fault them.

Back