What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Havasu New Year's Day Flyout 2014

Rosie

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Katie Velvick will be busy this coming New Year's Day so Rosie is here working on the details for our annual New Year's day flyout to Lake Havasu on the Colorado River.

I'm still trying to get in touch with the Manager and will try again on Monday but you all can tentatively plan on arriving to Havasu no later than:
10:45am Arizona time
9:45am California/Nevada time

That will give you some time on the ramp to visit with friends then walk inside and be seated on the hour.

12/18/2013 UPDATE: I have confirmed we are GOOD TO GO for New Year's Day at Waldo's!!!!

PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND (AND IF YOU ARE BRINGING A GUEST) AS I NEED A HEADCOUT :)

See you all there, Rosie

Last edited:
Is this just a day trip for most or are you guys staying the night? Looks like fun, I'll see if I can get another RV or two from NM but I'm definitely interested.

From Rosie: Day trip

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like fun!

I look forward to updates. I will circulate the details within the Tucson RV klan and see who's interested.

Hi Rosie, I'll put it on the calendar. I assume this is for some formation flying, is that right? :)

From Rosie: Nope....just a bunch of RVers getting together to have some GOOD BBQ! We started flying to Laughlin/Bullhead City for New Year's Day 2001 through 2010 then into Lake Havasu in 2011 and again in 2012 and 2013. Some of us travel in groups and are qualified to fly some formation upon arrival :)

Thanks Rosie: Count me in for 2 seats. Gonna bring my pretty wife or my ugly father-in-law...haven't decided.

Last edited:
On the calendar

I'll put it on my calendar too.
Gash, I can come by and join up along the way.
(Still waiting on my Jan sked so just penciled in for now).

12/18/2013 UPDATE: I have confirmed we are GOOD TO GO for New Year's Day at Waldo's!!!!

PLEASE CHIME IN IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND (AND IF YOU ARE BRINGING A GUEST) AS I NEED A HEADCOUT :)

See you all there, Rosie

Last edited:
Always a fun time

64GH IS IN (2 People)

Rosie,

I'm in +1. Will be at Agua Dulce visiting the inlaws, and bringing Papa-in-Law again this year. Intercept ya enroute Hector? :D

See y'all there!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Cathy, let me know if you can make it and we'll rejoin someplace south of Goodyear on the way up. Bring Jawbone and any of the other Tucson area folks too!

Weekends off

Don't be shocked TW but not only do I have that day off.....I have 3 of 4 weekends off for Jan. Whooee, IN + 1.

Weeble

N5AD is in!

Flying out of DVT, maybe I can tag along with the Goodyear group!

Rosie, I'm the red and white 6A you saw back in May at L00! Headcount for me is 2.

See ya' there!

Hey the more the merrier. Let's set it up via emails and PMs as necessary. Chris, please PM me your email and we can coordinate something too. Tailwind, you wanna join up at Alamo Lake so you don't have to go too far off course enroute to HII?

Hey the more the merrier. Let's set it up via emails and PMs as necessary. Chris, please PM me your email and we can coordinate something too. Tailwind, you wanna join up at Alamo Lake so you don't have to go too far off course enroute to HII?

Alamo lake join is a good idea, Will Email in on that...

Weeble, are you on a retirement plan now as Condor? I must be doing something wrong here....:D

coming in from VGT

I would like to come on down from North Las Vegas in my RV8 if there is room
Chris Hukill

From Rosie: Always room for everyone!

I'm in

I will fly my 9A over from Chino. Seems like a good opportunity to make my next flight video with the gopro.

Might find a passenger by then, but now it's just me.

Fly out to HII

So I understand Gash has to take aother hop before he is qual'd for next months bid period. Is anyone else going from The Tucson area?

2 more airplanes

Rosie,
I'm going to make it out there on New Years day in my RV-6. A buddy of mine will join with his Mooney. We'll be flying out of Boulder City. 4 adults plus 2 kids. See you there!

So I understand Gash has to take another hop
Weeble, you're right. I have to fly for work that day. Can't make it to Havasu--sorry folks. Rosie, free up 2 seats for somebody else please.

I'll see everyone back there in Feb for the formation clinic!

AL Rohnke

Hi, I have an RV6a and I'm based at chino. I would like to join you at Lake Havasu, new years at 9:45 PST. It looks like I will be able to fly early that morning. Thanks

Weeble, you're right. I have to fly for work that day. Can't make it to Havasu--sorry folks. Rosie, free up 2 seats for somebody else please.

I'll see everyone back there in Feb for the formation clinic!

Rosie- Jawbone +1 from Tuscon is coming in also.
See you soon Gash...
TW

HAPPY NEW YEAR, and we'll see some of you in the morning at Lake Havasu! Also, Desert Skies Aviation has offered us a 10% discount on all fuel purchases :) Fly safe! Rosie & Tuppergal

HAPPY NEW YEAR, and we'll see some of you in the morning at Lake Havasu! Also, Desert Skies Aviation has offered us a 10% discount on all fuel purchases :) Fly safe! Rosie & Tuppergal

My wife Angie and I wanted to thank everyone that we met today at the Lake Havasu BBQ fly-in. We had an amazing time and really enjoyed meeting so many enthusiastic and motivated RV'ers! We really appreciate the time you shared with us along with the overwhelming warm welcome! We are already looking forward to the next trip!

NYD_2014_11.jpg

Happy New Year!

Chris & Angie Phillips (loving our 6!) :D

Another fun-filled flyout!

Happy 2014 to our VAF family of friends! We had another WONDERFUL turnout for out 14th annual New Year's Day Flyout with 32 RVs flying into Lake Havasu (KHII) :) There were several other 'store-bought' planes that flew in to join us and were welcomed (since they flew in with an RV...you gotta have RV friends to join us!)

Our long distance award went to Don & Emma Jones who flew in from Las Cruces (~397nm) in their beautiful RV-9A. Andrew 'Sharkbait' Brandt and his Dad Charles came in close second at ~375nm flying in from Minden-Tahoe. We had fliers from California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico this year with lots of new faces - first timers to our NYD flyout.

MANY THANKS to all of you who joined us for a great day of food, fun, friendship and flying!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL WORTH IT!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

The sand dunes near Kelso:

NYD_2014_01.jpg

Here's a look at how the water flows into a riverbed following a torrential summer thunderstorm:

NYD_2014_02.jpg

On final to Runway 32 at Lake Havasu:

NYD_2014_03.jpg

Row 1:
NYD_2014_04.jpg

Row 2:

NYD_2014_05.jpg

Row 3:

NYD_2014_06.jpg

The Gang...

NYD_2014_07.jpg

The Gang continued...

NYD_2014_08.jpg

Andrew 'Sharkbait' Brandt, his Dad Charles Brandt (who built half this RV-9A :) and Tuppergal:

NYD_2014_09.jpg

Ken & Chris Jones.....one of the last ones to leave! Ken...really....you need to give Chris at least a 6-inch booster cushion!!!!

NYD_2014_10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work setting this up Rosie...thanks again! Great seeing everyone there! Sure we're a lot of beautiful RV's on the HII ramp today!

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Bob

Thanks to Rosie and everyone for a great time. It's pretty amazing to be able to fly across 2 states for lunch,
meet up with some great people, see beautiful scenery on the way and be back home before the sun goes down.
All because of an amazing piece of machinery I built in the garage. They are truly amazing airplanes and the people
who fly them are some of the nicest you will ever meet.

Thanks again!!
Don & Emma Jones
Las Cruces, NM

Last edited:
Thanks to Rosie for setting this up. It was my first time participating, and I had a blast. I will be back next year.

Thanks Rosie, it was a blast. My wife Lori made my favorite comment of the day..... "I've never heard the radio so busy before..... I don't see any of them" I laughed. We were still 15 miles out. A fun and safe time was
had by all. The perfect way to start a new year :)

Thanks Rosie

Thanks Rosie for setting this up. It was great to meet you in person finally.

Sorry I was a late arrival and with the only seating left at the bar, I didn't get to meet a lot of the RV'rs there. I will make it early next year and shake some hands.

Great fun and enjoyed seeing the ramp full of RVs!!!

Dan

What a way to start 2014.

I was heading to Lake Havasu for the fly-in and BBQ and 30 mins out my engine starting running rough. I did a 180 and made it back home but sheessh I was really looking forward to it. :(
PS Hats off to my passenger. She hung together quite well.

Hope to meet you guys in Feb if I can get some formation flying in ahead of time.

Tony

Back