What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior finishing - before or after first flight?

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
Question: Is it better to have the interior of your plane completed (paint, panels, carpet, etc.) before your RV-10 takes off for the first time, or is it better to have a minimal interior until the required time is flown off and then finish it later?

We're not sure which direction we want to go here. Opinions, please?

--Dave--

I say finish the plane, removing the interior for an inspection is not that hard and you will find yourself flying so much that you will never want to stop flying to finish building. Also this way you will have the correct weight and balance numbers from day one.

My vote finish the airplane then fly it!

I did what David recommended. I painted and finished everything, but took carpet and side panels out for initial inspection and early phase I. I'll put them back after I get 10 or so hours. Just make sure that you have no leaks before the carpet is installed for good.

Same here. I finished the interior of my -10 prior to first flight and I also have the W/B as the plane will be flown at after phase one. I have the carpet and panel cover parts of the interior out of mine right now in preparation of inspection but everything has been fitted and installed.

I think it can go both ways. It's nice to know you have everything done, but it takes longer to get to that point and makes inspection harder (at least takes longer). I think it is much like the paint decision, before or after first flight. Often paint can't be done locally, so that is one difference. Are you willing and happy to fly for a while without an interior? Then maybe wait. Are you more concerned about having a finished plane than just getting in the air? Then maybe go ahead and finish.

I say finish the plane, removing the interior for an inspection is not that hard and you will find yourself flying so much that you will never want to stop flying to finish building. Also this way you will have the correct weight and balance numbers from day one.

My vote finish the airplane then fly it!

I agree 100%

Who should I order an interior from?

I am now convinced to finish my interior before the first flight. The question I have is who can I order an interior from that I can install.

I know of 2 possibles Aerosport Products and flightline interiors that can supply a complete package of seats, interior panels and carpet. I guess Aerosport is about to introduce a carpet option.

Are their any others that should be looked at?

Thanks

I am now convinced to finish my interior before the first flight. The question I have is who can I order an interior from that I can install.

I know of 2 possibles Aerosport Products and flightline interiors that can supply a complete package of seats, interior panels and carpet. I guess Aerosport is about to introduce a carpet option.

Thanks

I don't think there are any others doing the -10 interior. I am very pleased with my interior from Abby at Flightline Interiors. She does great work and has a good selection of materials and colors to choose from. Her prices are very reasonable also.

When you register your plane you will probably have to pay taxes on everything to that point. One reason to delay as many big ticket purchases as possible.

Thanks

I have a combination from both companies in my RV-10.

From Aerosport Products:

Interior panels
Instrument panel
Overhead console
Naca controller
Rudder trim
Seat levers (will be on the web site this week)
Carpet
Seats covers
Arm rest console

From Flightline:

Glare shield
Aileron boots

Carpet and seat covers are the only two products that both companies make. I like the way Geoff does his seat covers better. The seats have pull through anchors that are tied down on the bottom of the seats. This does a couple things. The first is to keep the leather tight and secondly, it makes the seams on the seats more defined. I like that look.

I know of at least three RV-10s that Geoff has installed carpet. In my opinion, based upon seeing carpets from both companies, Geoff has paid a little more attention to fit and quality. He just purchased a new serger that does a fantastic job at binding the carpet edges.

I think it's the attention to detail, that makes Geoff's products a proffered choice of me and many others.

In full disclosure, while I don't work for Aerosport Products, I do support their website. I would recommend talking with other builders that have products installed and ask them why they made the decisions they made, then draw your own conclusion. Depending on where you live, go visit their shops and check things out first hand.

And yes, there are other companies like Cleaveland Tools and Iflyrv10.com that sell seat covers. But only one of these four companies currently is flying their own RV-10.

When you register your plane you will probably have to pay taxes on everything to that point. One reason to delay as many big ticket purchases as possible.

This is a good point and I can relate to this since I am filling out my state of MI tax discovery forms the treasury department sent 2 weeks after getting my FAA aircraft registration certificate.

Missed it?

Did I miss the announcement that Aerosport products is providing carpet for the -10? I don't see it on the website and this is the first I've heard. Bob...or Geoff...any details?

Did I miss the announcement that Aerosport products is providing carpet for the -10? I don't see it on the website and this is the first I've heard. Bob...or Geoff...any details?

I would give Geoff a call to get current status.

Back