What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How hard to install Dynon servos on an existing 7a?

mchargmg

Well Known Member
Hello all,

We may be looking at adding Dynon servos to an existing 7a with a Dynon D10a EFIS over the winter. I was wondering if there was any experience at doing such an upgrade? How hard was it for you? Any impressions of the Dynon autopilot from those that have used it?

Thanks

Geoff
2013 dues happily paid

Although not as easy as prior to closing the wing, it's still pretty easy to do - you just have to work through the inspection plate.

I'm happy with my setup (D100 & servos) which does a nice job as a 2-axis autopilot.

Greg

Easy

Dynon has pretty good documentation on installation. I found the job to be a 3/10 in difficulty. I put the aileron servo under the pass. seat. No problems.

I put the aileron servo under the pass. seat. No problems.
Does Dynon provide mounts and instructions for installing the aileron servo under the seat? (I know they do for the bellcrank, but don't know about the seat.) I'm close to adding my servos and am trying to decide which location would be easiest and best documented.

Does Dynon provide mounts and instructions for installing the aileron servo under the seat? (I know they do for the bellcrank, but don't know about the seat.) I'm close to adding my servos and am trying to decide which location would be easiest and best documented.
They might but I would go with the standard location in the right wing as it is very easy to install. The wiring might be another issue.

The pitch servo bracket is designed to rivet through the bottom skin and longitudinal rib but if you don't want to mess up your paint, I know a few builder who have successfully installed the bracket by bolting it through the rib using four or five AN-3 bolts.

Also, you might want to install an AP74 along with the D10A (or D100), it makes managing the AP much easier.

Here are some photos and comments from when I installed the AP with my D100 during their Beta program.

They might but I would go with the standard location in the right wing as it is very easy to install. The wiring might be another issue.

Under the seat is a standard installation, at least in the 6. As noted, it makes wiring Easter too.

Last edited:
Incorrect, the right wing is the "standard" location for -7 & -9, if there is such a thing.

Correct - the aileron servo goes in the right wing and the elevator servo in the aft fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. Many owners have installed these after-the-fact, it's not terribly difficult. You will definitely need a close-quarters 90 degree air drill.

Correct - the aileron servo goes in the right wing and the elevator servo in the aft fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. Many owners have installed these after-the-fact, it's not terribly difficult. You will definitely need a close-quarters 90 degree air drill.

Of course, just to be contrarian, I installed mine in the left wing (camera mount is in the right wing).

Greg

Back