What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A picture of a chrome (painted) spinner

BMW_X6M

I am going tomorrow to finally pick up my new chrome (painted) spinner. It has been a long wait to get it done, but it looks great in the picture. The spinner was purchased from Catto so that it could be cut to fit my propeller. More information to follow. http://sdrv.ms/115Ulqw

Got to ask (since everyone maybe thinking the same thing);
Can you do the entire airplane using this chrome paint?

Got to ask (since everyone maybe thinking the same thing);
Can you do the entire airplane using this chrome paint?

Sure you can...but the big questions are:
a) How much do you want to spend? and
B) How much do you want your airplane to weigh?

Three coat system...a layer of paint, a layer of metal and a clear coat. Even if the metal weighs the same as the paint (highly unlikely...my bet is the metal is heavier), you're still at double the weight of a standard paint finish.

Doing just the spinner, or the spinner and wheel pants probably won't affect your overall weight that much...but the entire airplane? I think you'd be looking at a significant weight gain.

Curious about your spinner issue.
Was it an aluminum spinner that had been chromed?
Was it an aluminum spinner that had a spray on chrome process similar to the video?
Was it a composite spinner with a spray on chrome process?

If it was a chromed aluminum spinner did they take the time to heat treat it after plating?

I've been thinking about painting mine a high metallic silver. Now that is still nothing close to the reflectivity of chrome but still good looking

Erik, I got some of that chrome paint and I was amazed at how good it looked just out of a spray can. I bet with some clear over it, it would look great on a spinner.

Back