What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AP panel - auto trim?

I have an RV-12 with Rotax 912 ULS, Skyview Classic signed screen, 2 axis AP, and just installed the AP panel and Knob panel. I got the new AP 37 pin connected and plugged in to my master control module. When I finished, everything worked great! Knobs function properly, AP works and flies with no issues, but the trim does not work. I have a trim switch that I left alone since I didn’t know how to connect the 3 wires out of the back of the AP panel… but now that switch wont work and obviously the AP panel is not connected to the trim. The 3 wires out of the AP Panel are 1.Power 2.Trim Up 3.Trim Down. My question is: where do I plug those wires into? I cant seem to figure out if I need to wire them into a pin in the EMS, the master control module (maybe the switches pin). I am very new to all of this so I am so far out of my comfort zone, so i didn’t want to just start splicing wires and messing around with it. I appreciate any help at all!

Stephen,

If you have not done so yet, you need to go to the following Van’s download web page:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/downloads/#ElectricalSystemDiagrams

Then download the PDF electrical diagram titled:
RV-12 SV-AP-KNOB ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (Finish Kit Shipped after 08-25-11)

I would first start by verifying the 2 amp fuse for the trim circuit is good. Then move on to the actual wiring.

Looking closely at the drawing, you will see the trim switch is part of the AV-50001 Switch and Fuse module and the 22 gauge wires associated with trim up and down are PTRIM SW+ and PTRIM SW- they are on pins 19 and 18 and labeled F2034 and F2035 respectfully. Those two wires get wired directly to pins 3 & 4 on the Dynon AP Control Panel.

The trim power is 18 gauge wire assigned the label of F2030 and is wired directly from pin 15 on the AV-50001 module to pin 9 on the Dynon AP Control Panel.

After the rewire, follow the SkyView trim setup procedure so trim movement and takeoff trim position can be established.

You will end up with the instrument panel trim switch wired directly to the pilot trim input (pins 3 & 4) on the AP Control Panel. Moving the trim switch will place a ground on either pin 3 or 4 depending on which way you moved the trim switch. Should you ever decide to also install a trim switch(s) on your control stick grip(s) tie those two wires to the co-pilot inputs on pins 5 & 6 of the Dynon AP Control Panel.

As a side note: Dynon has assigned the priority so the pilot input will override the co-pilot input. This means should your stick mounted trim switch(s) become compromised, the instrument panel trim switch will override the stick mounted switch(s).

Once it is all wired correctly, and the SkyView autopilot setting is optioned for the expert mode, the system works great! When autopilot is engaged, the AP Control Module will make trim adjustments automatically ... you will hear a SkyView audio announcement "trim nose up" or "trim nose down" and the AP Module just does it for you. There is also a menu setting in the SkyView that allows you to make the trim less sensitive at higher cruse speeds. I'm very pleased with my Dynon AP Module.

Hope you find the above helpful.

Last edited:
John, This was so helpful! Thank you so much for all that information. I can’t wait to head over to the hanger and get this all finished up. Thanks again!

Stephen, as a follow up: Post #3 covers the trim power and trim switch wiring to the AP Control Panel. If you continue to have a problem with the trim servo motor, verify the wiring from the AP Control Panel to the tail cone.

The switched trim motor drive power leaves the AP Control Panel on pin 7 (PTRIM +) and pin 8 (PTRIM-). According to the wiring schematic, pin 7 on the AP Control Panel connects to pin 8 of the Autopilot connector on the AV-5000A Control Module. Pin 8 on the AP Control Panel connects to pin 7 of the Autopilot connector on the AV-5000A Control Module. (Yes, that is correct, pin 7 goes to pin 8 and pin 8 goes to pin 7 … go figure). Note: The polarity of the PTRIM + and PTRIM- wires will flip-flop depending on which direction the pitch trim servo motor needs to be driven.

Internally, the AV-5000A Control Module routes the PTRIM + and PTRIM - circuits from the Autopilot connector to the Fuselage connector where they appear on pins 31 & 32 and are labeled PTRIM SERVO PWR R and PTRIM SERVO PWR E respectfully. The trim motor power wires (both white) connect to pins 31 & 32 on the Fuselage connector and run aft through the tail cone to the connector at the pitch trim servo motor.

Last edited:
A/P knobs NO TRIM

Just found this post, I installed knob kit this weekend and my trim also will not work, wired as per Van's 58-05, no good, re-checked all pins all in proper location, software ver 16.4.0, never heard reply from Stephen as to what was issue, any ideas ??
Thanks, Stan

I believe my auto-trim might also not be working correctly. I have the dynon HDX with the AP panel Did anyone find the cure to this one?

Back