What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

*IMPORTANT* VP-X and PPS manual update, please get the latest revision ASAP

cjensen

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

We've come across an issue in the field with the PPS when used with an external voltage regulator (the LR3C). There is no problem with the EVR at all, but there is a wiring change that has been updated in both the VP-X and the PPS manuals. Failure to either change your wiring, or wire when installing using this revision will potentially damage the PPS.

There is no safety of flight issue, but the damage would occur when either starting up, or shutting down. The voltage regulator MUST be shut off BEFORE the alternator, or at the same time when shutting down, or the alternator MUST be turned on BEFORE the EVR when starting up.

Revision E is now current for both manuals, and both are available here-

https://verticalpower.com/index.php/help/documents

If you have a PPS please get the revised manual whether you have a VP-X or not, but there are new sections covering use of the LR3C with the PPS in a VP-X system, and a traditional buss system.

Cheers,
Chad

Chad,
I downloaded the new manual but I havent seen anything about a caution if I am just using the VP-Sport. Is the update just for the PPS system?

Thanks for the update.

I need a few more hints

Chad, thanks for getting this out to us via VAF.

Being a little VPX/PPS/wiring tech challenged, I need a few more hints that will help me find Waldo.

- remind me what "LR3C" is. THE EVR?
- what is "EVR". I SEE IT NOW EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR
- point me to the specific page, item, or other where the change to the wiring is described. THIS WOULD BE WALDO.

And : ". . . when shutting down, or the alternator MUST be . . ." - - should "or" be "and" ?

Much appreciated.

Last edited:
The changes in the manuals are always recorded in the change log in the front of both manuals, page 6 for the VP-X manual that shows exactly what section was changed (section 5.9a and 5.9c), and page 4 in the PPS manual (section 3.3 and 3.3a). Pin functionality description (clarification) was also updated, as was the template (it was 180 degrees off).

The change in wiring affects a PPS/VPX combo, or just use of a PPS without VPX.

Jeff, yes the word 'or' can also be 'and'. It applies to both.

Chad,
Don't know if related, but would appreciate your input. This issue remains unsolved. I do not have the PPS. Below what I sent to G3Xpert. Their reply: "That is strange. If you have the 1 amp fuses connected to the amp H and amp L, make sure the wiring and connections are solid and no intermittent connections." My plane is in for painting right now so I could not verify the recommendation from G3Xpert.

I have this strange indication on displayed Amps. Comes along infrequently, but happens on most flights and at any stage of the flight. It is not associated with turning different systems on and off. The alternator current drawn shows up steady in the VP-X. The amps indication is stable, steady for 99% of the time. When the abnormal amps indication happens, the indication will rapidly go way into the negative indication,. I have seen as much as -495 Amps. During this time the volts stay steady at the usual 14.4 charging volts without dimming/flickering of any lights or displays. Switching from primary alternator (Plane Power 60 Amp) to the standby alternator (B+C 40 Amp) makes no difference in the indication. There is no indication on the PFD that the main alternator is off line (which it will show when not charging). Rarely the Amps indication will red X out. It always recovers fairly quickly and spontaneously.
The stable voltage makes me think that this is an indication problem and not a charging/alternator/short problem.
The system senses amps via the standard supplied shunt.
I attach a few pictures, one of the amps X'ed out, three of various zooms of the downloaded Amps and Volts 1 (Volts 1 is main battery and volts 2 the backup battery). There is also no change in Volts 2 when the anomaly happens.
Main battery is the EarthX 680 and the backup battery is IBBS 12V-6AH.
All wiring done by Stein Air.
Thank you.
Johan

Attachments

• Amps X IMG_3730.jpg
    Amps X IMG_3730.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 144
  • thumbnail_IMG_3744.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3744.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 121
  • thumbnail_IMG_3745.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3745.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 114
  • thumbnail_IMG_3746.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3746.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 122
Dorfie,

I don't know where Garmin pulls the amperage info from for display on that main page. If it doesn't match what is on the VP-X page, then it has to be from an external shunt. If you don't have an external shunt, it is likely being pulled from the VPX, but I wasn't aware that Garmin did that. if that is the case though, the indications would be the same on the VPX page. If not, it has to be an issue outside the VPX.

Need to know where the info comes from before troubleshooting. Feel free to give me a call if needed.

Cheers,

To be more clear, correct wording would be AND.

Both startup AND shutdown would be the affected if wiring is not corrected.

Back