What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix Mag Drive Gear Issue

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
I'm having a bit of a Bendix mag drive gear issue. I'm replacing some older Slick mags on my 0-320 with Bendix S4LN-21 mags. On the left mag I installed the impulse drive gear from the left slick mag onto the bendix impulse coupling without issue. Everything fit up just fine.

However after I removed the impulse coupling from the other bendix mag to use on the right side I have issues. The non impulse drive gear sets much to low on the mag shaft and the setup is just wrong. In researching the Bendix overhaul manual to see if I might be missing a spacer or something, to no avail, as well as looking up drive gear part numbers. I appears the drive gears should be interchangeable. I'm of the conclusion that the Bendix mag I have can only be used with an impulse coupling or perhaps the drive gear I removed from the Slick mag is just incorrect for the application. If there is a drive gear, that does not have a taper bore, and would set on the straight area of the mag shaft then things would line up just fine it appears. I however have never seen such gear.

If anyone can provide me with some insight here it sure would help. I'm at that point where I cant see the forest for the trees.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 131
  • y.jpg
    y.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 142
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 134
Mags

the normal Bendix setup would be impulse on the left and non impulse S4LN20 on the right.
You could use the impulse on the right but you would need impulse coupling, spacer and different gear.
Nearly all the mag parts are the same, impulse, non impulse except for the shaft.
Spruce catalog has some good info on this.

Back