What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A shoutout to Flyleds

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Just wanted to comment about my recent experience with Paul at Flyleds.

I ordered two sets of his combo landing/taxi lights for my RV7 wings a few months ago. Shipping from down under took about a month and when the box showed up, I tore in to put these together.

I found the assembly to be straightforward, but afterward, when I bench checked them I discovered that one of the 3 LEDs on one of the boards wasn't lighting up.

I emailed Paul and asked about warranty replacement and he replied right away. He said he would send out a replacement unit right away if I was close to flying, but if it wasn't urgent he would appreciate if I could send the faulty one back and he would just replace the one bad LED.

I don't even have the fuselage kit yet, so urgency wasn't an issue. He suggested that I disassemble the unit and just send back the main board in a padded envelope to cut down on shipping costs. He also mentioned that they bench check all of them, so he was a little surprised.

When I took the lenses off, I could barely see a a scratch across the face of the faulty one. Theres a good chance I did this to myself when I was assembling the lenses on top of the board. There is a note in the instructions that says you may have a little of the heat sink glue ooze up through the mounting holes when you glue them on the back and screw everything together, and that you can pick this out as long as your careful to not damage the led. I can't honestly say whether I picked the glue out of this particular LED or scratched it, but it's at least a possibility, and he said they bench check them all before sending them out...

I emailed him back and confessed that I thought this was what happened and that I'd be happy to cover shipping and whatever he thought was fair for a repair. His immediate response was don't worry about it, just cover shipping to get it to him and he would take care of it.

I shipped the board back on 4-3-2020 and thanks to the chaos Covid-19 subsequently caused with air travel, it took a while for him to get it but on 5-19-2020 I got an email from him that basically said "got it yesterday, repaired it today, will ship it out tomorrow."

It showed up at my house a couple of weeks later, repaired, with a new tube of glue to put the heat sinks back on, and some lens inserts to help center the lenses when I snapped them back in place. He didn't want any payment for the repair, or even shipping it back to me.

Long story, but it seems like we will go into all sorts of detail when we're complaining about being taken advantage of. I felt like it was important to throw out the same level of detail for a vendor who really went above and beyond to back up their product and really give customer service thats second to none.

ps- these things are super bright, and have a tiny current draw compared to incandescent. They are also reasonably priced. Same with the Flyled wingtip strobe/nav lights. I'm not flying yet, but have every reason to think that they'll fit my mission perfectly at a reasonable price. I'd happily buy this whole setup again.

Agreed. Had intermittent issues for several years (probably do to a poor solder joint of my own that every attempt to fix made worse). Offered to pay for a new controller board, and Paul sent me a new one free of charge.

Chris

second on FlyLEDS

I recently replaced my old school 100 watt round landing light bulb with the 4 light combo from FlyLEDS. Positive rating on the whole experience. The assembly required was minimal, and instructions were complete. The ductworks mount and the light assembly required a little modification, but I'd rate the job as simple. Super bright, white, and about half the amps.

Many of you will be firearm enthusiasts, and I will say that even us gun lovers down under appreciate the awesome service of firearm companies. No other industry comes close.

Even in aviation, where I must say most are good, and some are average, there are a few who are outstanding.

And those few good ones are mostly in the experimental category funny enough. So it is no surprise to me to read this about Paul's outstanding customer service at all. I have installed a few and "sold" a few more of his kits when people have asked what do I think. Bang for buck....or flash for cash....FlyLeds are the real deal. All myself customers use them pretty much.

The only thing cheap and nasty about FlyLeds is the corny video's on his web page :p

Two thumbs up bigly

+1 for FlyLED's.

Great product. Great support. Great price.

Really everything that makes experimental aviation awesome. Get to use the latest tech, at a fraction of the price. Can't say enough good things about Paul and FlyLED's.

Very happy customer here. Will repeat if I ever build again.

Back