What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Leak

Blue Dye. Im not even sure where to start on this one. I see fresh fuel with full tank. Basically, it is is seeping out at thevwing root, on the wing side. Going to see if it happens with partial tank.

How do i post a pic? Its leaking from between the gear fairing and the drain.

Either from Today's Posts or Search, top left corner
-Posting Rules
-Donate yearly
-Advertise in here
-Today's Posts | Insert pics

hi EW
Re picture, you might have a read here http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm

As for the leak, the, or one of the fuel sender or flop tube or whatever cover is probably leaking... so take off that fuse-wing aluminum joiner and have a look. Once identified, you'll need to reseal. Which means remove that cover, clean scrub that ol' stuff off both surfaces, reseal with Pro-seal or equivalent. No big deal, lest you might have to remove that :mad: wing tank for doing it proper.

Good luck!

Last edited:
full tanks, with direct sunlight in moderate or warm temps will cause many RV's to spit fuel out of the vent line. If your leakage only happens under these conditions, I would look for a leak at the -4AN vent line connection at the fuel tank. Maybe a loose nut or cracked line.

Pulling off the fairing strip between the wing and fuse should allow you to better view the blue traces to identify hte source.

Last edited:
access panel screws I'd bet

Common occurrence. As noted above, sounds like a tank removal and reseal is in your future. Unlike the RV7, the RV6 fuel tanks are a breeze to remove. In my case, I had to remove the access panel and the originally installed cork gasket and reinstall without any gasket (just proseal) which is the consensus method these days.

Back