What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Trim Authority

YellaDawg

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My roll trim doesn't seem to do much. I checked the operation and it is fine, the indicator is as well, but it doesn't seem to do much other than stretch the springs. Any suggestions?

I would check for any stiffness or drag in the aileron linkage. My aileron trim works very well although the springs are not linear in their deflection which is expected.

As Chris has mentioned, if the aileron are not moving as the spring is getting stretched, then maybe there is enough stiffness/binding in the aileron that the spring power is not enough to overcome it.
In a neutral position, both springs are under a bit of load equally. As the arm moves, one springs unloads and the other stretches more to add more load. If the aileron is free to move. It moves to equal those loads.

I installed a spring based aileron trim in my 6 and it is very effctive and noticable. I, like others, suspect other factors that are keeping it from working. All it does is apply a level of pressure against the control system, just like your hand on the stick does.

Can you estimate the amount of pressure that you must exert to hold the plane level without the trim system?

It's possible that you are too far out of trim from a rigging perspective and asking too much of the spring. You should be able to hold level flight with relatively limited stick force if you expect the bias trim to be effective. If this is not the case, you will either need to re-address the rigging or add a trim tap or wedge to an aileron.

I would also confirm that the servo is actually moving when you press the button. It could be a wiring issue or bad servo. If you add a lot of trim in one direction, you should see your stick pulled way over to one side while on the ground.

Larry

Last edited:
I did check and confirm complete movement. doesn't take much, I am a little left wing heavy, but that is solo, I suspect with a passenger it will be fine. I'll check for drag.

Back