What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9A Installing nose wheel pant bracket

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Dawg C-1...right lower corner. Axle bolt shows three washers. Large washer next to bolt head,, it’s at this point my point arises.,, the next two washers are 616 @.062 and a 616 -L at .030”. Combined these two washers are .092” thick. Now the wheel pant bracket is ( U-713 ) and it’s .060” thick. When I slide this bracket (U-713 )on as described over these two washers (equalling .092” )) on (page section 10-7 and just under”wheel pant & U-713C support bracket) my bracket is loose because of the.032” gap between the wheel fork and the first washer that’s under the bolt head. Question is this bracket supposed to free float over those two smaller washers??? It sorta indicates that in the sentence ( begins with”tape a 7/8”). Now I just took out the 616 - .062” washer and put in a .030” washer and the two now equal the thickness on the bracket.It tightens up nicely. So is there a significance to the roominess of this area? I know this isn’t a space ship Iam building but it’s MY space ship�� Could a vibration occur from this bracket. Thanks
Cheers
Ron in Oregon

Yes the slot in the bracket slides over the smaller diameter washers and the larger one captures the bracket. Works great. No movement.

Paul did you use two 616L washers.032” because my bracket .060” wobble s back and forth in the .092” space and my large washer doesn’t capture the bracket in a tight way. So Iam assuming you used two thin washers?
Ron

You know John you bring u a good point on the Allen screw. When mine is screwed in with the lock/washers my screw is against the tire. Iam thinking they gave me the wrong bolts or a sleeve is used in conjunction for a tow bar.
Ron

I went down to the local hardware store and got some new allen head bolts that were the correct size and don't rub up against the tire.

Thanks Bruce someone mentioned that there was a change in the front fork years back. My kit is 9years old and flown two years with out the wheel pants, got the wheel pants done and now starting on the front one first. I got one of the guys ideas to use the chain hoist on the engine hook to raise the front wheel. Bruce you remember if you used the two thin washers and then tighten up the bracket?
Ron

RV9A Fitting aft front nose pant. ? Clearance

Trying to fit the aft part of the front wheel pant. What kind of clearance is there to be between the tire and the bottom opening of the wheel pant. I know Iam to place a 7/8? block on top of the wheel for inside clearance. It?s cold in my hangar 40 F and I can quite spread the pant to slide over the brackets. Do you heat up the pant to spread it to side into position? Didn?t see any side wheel clearances in sec 10-7.
Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Went to Vans this morning to discuss the two washers next to the big washer behind nose wheel axle bolt head, after explaining the thickness of the two 616-L .032”& 616 .060” washers totaling =.092” and the mounting plate at .060” that there SHOULD NOT be any wobble either side of the fork and the large washer should capture the bracket (713)tightly. Your decision to bring the gap ( made by the washers) to as close as possible to the thickness of your mounting plate.
Ron

Be careful stretching the wheel pants over the tire/wheel assembly. After two trimming evolutions I was pulling my front wheel pants over the mix of parts and the fiberglass tore up the side about 4-inches. There was no obvious weak spot where the split started.

Easily fixed with some fiberglass, but just extra work (and sanding, I hate sanding).

John that was my next scary thought you just brought to light. Because I couldn’t stretch my pant over the wheel last night. While at Vans today I asked that question too. For starters, measure the width of the tire and add 1 1/2” for the Longnitude cuts, John is that about what you found? Did you add epoxy flux between the pant sides and the bracket tongues?
Ron

Well got 9A nose wheel pant installed last week. Last night I wanted to put air in the front tire. Dang wheel pant in the way. What did you do for access to valve stem cap removal? Cut a hole or add a door.
Cheers
RON in Oregon

Back