What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT, G3X Touch, or AFS near Savannah/Atlanta?

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I'll be nearing the point in the next six months or so where I'll need to decide on an avionics package, but I'd like to check out the alternatives "in person" and without a sales guy around if I can find an opportunity to do so. I'm having a hard time narrowing down the choices just off of online documentation and feature lists.

Is there anyone within reasonable driving time of Savannah or southside Atlanta that has an HXr, G3X touch, or AFS system installed, and is willing to let me fiddle with it on the ground or take me up for a bit?

Thanks!

(I didn't mention Skyview because I already have experience with it)

A friend at 3J1, Ridgeland, SC has an AFS 5600 in his F1 Rocket.

Ed Wischmeyer at KSAV has G3X (I believe) in his -8 and -9.

I have the Legacy 1000T Dynon Touch in my -7A at KLHW, if you'd like to fly with it.

All exist at KCUB (Columbia, SC)

I'll be nearing the point in the next six months or so where I'll need to decide on an avionics package, but I'd like to check out the alternatives "in person" and without a sales guy around if I can find an opportunity to do so. I'm having a hard time narrowing down the choices just off of online documentation and feature lists.

Is there anyone within reasonable driving time of Savannah or southside Atlanta that has an HXr, G3X touch, or AFS system installed, and is willing to let me fiddle with it on the ground or take me up for a bit?

Thanks!

(I didn't mention Skyview because I already have experience with it)

Cannot commit all owners to touch and play but if we can work out details, you can see GRT Sport SX (x3) in an RV6 and a GRT HXr + GRT MINI (x2) in an RV8.

The Garmin is in a NEW, Oshkosh award-winning rv7 and the AFS is in an RV7.

Go see Vic Syracuse in Atlanta.

I know Vic through my dad, so next time I see him I'll ask about it. Thanks!

A friend at 3J1, Ridgeland, SC has an AFS 5600 in his F1 Rocket.

Ed Wischmeyer at KSAV has G3X (I believe) in his -8 and -9.
I've spoken to Ed online and seen him before, but we've never actually spoken in person. Maybe I'll drop him a line...

I have the Legacy 1000T Dynon Touch in my -7A at KLHW, if you'd like to fly with it.
Dad has the non-touch version so I'm pretty familiar with it, and from what little time I got on the HDX at Oshkosh, I think I like the legacy system better anyway.
That said, do you have an IFR GPS? I'm not rated (yet) but I'd like to see how everything works together...

Cannot commit all owners to touch and play but if we can work out details, you can see GRT Sport SX (x3) in an RV6 and a GRT HXr + GRT MINI (x2) in an RV8.

The Garmin is in a NEW, Oshkosh award-winning rv7 and the AFS is in an RV7.
That would be great! It's a bit of a drive from here so I'd have to arrange it on a day trip with the family, but if we could work it out that would be awesome.

Dad has the non-touch version so I'm pretty familiar with it, and from what little time I got on the HDX at Oshkosh, I think I like the legacy system better anyway.

That said, do you have an IFR GPS? I'm not rated (yet) but I'd like to see how everything works together...

I do not yet have an IFR GPS. Still trying decide between Garmin and Avidyne, along with saving the cash to make a purchase. Still, seeing how a flight plan is entered via ForeFlight and flown by the auto-pilot, it is quite impressive, IMO.

My friend with the Rocket /AFS is IFR (530W) but seeing it work from the back seat is next to impossible.

My RV-8 is south of Atlanta at KCCO. I had an AFS quick panel installed recently with an AFS 5800 EFIS, Avidyne IFD 540, Dynon D6 backup EFIS, and all other equip to make me 2020 compliant. I'd be happy to show her to you any time.
Although Vic is a superior option as he can answer any and all questions!

Panel Pics

You can see pictures of my AFS Quick Panel by going to the RV-8 section of the forums, "show us your panel", next to last page.

G3X Touch

I have a new RV-7A with a full Garmin G3X touch panel build by Stein. The plane is currently at Newnan (KCCO) but I usually have it at Mallard's Landing (GA04).

Panel picture may be found here

Not that it matters, but my spouse and I are both Yellow Jackets ;)

Thanks again for all of the responses! I'll be in touch via PM over the next couple weeks as I try to sort out times.

I have a full Garmin set up, G3X touch, et. all. I’m based in Dahlinega. Come check it out, then you can hit all the wineries in the area after.

Back