What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Infinity Grip issues?

Gary2418

I have an RV-7 with infinity military type grips. I love the grips and would certainly recommend them. The issue I have is when I key my push to talk button it interferes with my TruTrak autopilot in that it will sometimes make the autopilot kick out or deviate from straight and level flight while the PTT is activated. Only recently has it affected other things like making my CHT readings on my GRT EFIS climb to red line readings while the PTT is activated.

Any ideas ?

Are you sure it's the PTT? e.g., is there another switch that activates the transmitter but does not have these symptoms? I would be looking for an RF problem: coax shield not connected at both ends, or, most likely, the antenna not well grounded (maybe some corrosion under it).

You have an RF issue getting into the trutrak. Check your coax and antenna connectors for corrosion.

I second the ground path thought, I have theses grips and all the switches share a common ground, if this ground goes away, when you push one button, it will search for the next ground and cause all kinds of problems.

Only recently has it affected other things like making my CHT readings on my GRT EFIS climb to red line readings while the PTT is activated.

Any ideas ?

I also have these grips. I had the same issue with Skyview readouts....talk on the radio and the oil temp went thru the roof. Also, see if turning on high load items affects your ems readings. They did mine.
Solution: We tracked the weak ground to the engine-to-airframe cable.
After unbolting the cable from the engine and scraping the thick gray
lycoming paint from the attach point, all is well. Zero issues.

All the best,
Lorne

Back