What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TDY at Sheppard and I'm already bored!

majuro15

Well Known Member
Hey there, I'm TDY for two months at LRO school here in fabulous Sheppard AFB. Week one is down but already missing my build and flying. Anyone around the falls area with a RV project or flying 10? Heck, I'd enjoy hanging around any RV'er at this point!

Shoot me a PM if you need a hangar rat!

Tim

Drive an hour north and visit Ft Sill and you won't think Sheppard and Wichita Falls are so bad. :D I spent many years there as an Army Redleg.

If can't find something RV related, you ought to go visit Frederick, OK just up the road a bit. The WWII Airborne Demonstration team will be having a work weekend April 15-17. They have a C-47 and conduct WWII style round canopy jumps and will likely have a training/proficiency jump that weekend. If nothing else, their C-47 ought to be flying having just come out of maintenance.

There used to be a bunch of flying at Kickapoo airport back in the 80s...lots of warbirds and homebuilts. Don't know what there is now. Danaher used to be the acro hang-out. Wichita Valley used to have some antiques.

I did tech school at Sheppard many (many) years ago. Never left the base, except for some field training. Saw my first armadillos there. I guess they are Oklahoma's version of possums up here.

You could always go looking for 'dillos ... :D

One of the most interesting and redeeming features about that area are the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge just northwest of Ft Sill. If you enjoy hiking and seeing some buffalo herds, this is the place for a pleasant spring day.

Cheers, Hans

Hey there, I'm TDY for two months at LRO school here in fabulous Sheppard AFB. Week one is down but already missing my build and flying. Anyone around the falls area with a RV project or flying 10? Heck, I'd enjoy hanging around any RV'er at this point!

Shoot me a PM if you need a hangar rat!

Tim

There are a few RV'ers based at the downtown airport. I don't have the names handy, but I can look them up. My son was there for casual and UPT.

Go over to Wichita Valley airport. Some RVers there I'm sure. Or drive down to Olney Tx ( south) one afternoon and see the Air Tractor Mfg Plant . Definitely worth the time ask for Mike Rhodes at AT.

Wichita Valley is where the RVs are. Four RV-6s, one 4, one 8, and a 10. All are flying now, one of the 6s recently underwent a tip-up to slider conversion. I'm about to head out there right now to turn some 100LL into noise.

Drive an hour north and visit Ft Sill and you won't think Sheppard and Wichita Falls are so bad. :D
Oy! I almost spit my G&T! :p

I spent 8 years as a POW in OK thanks to Uncle Sam, split between Altus and Enid. ****, we used to go to Lawton just to get away from Altus.

I'll have to check out the Valley then next weekend. I don't have a car out here, as I didn't want to drive 18 hours from NC just for 8 weeks. We have some class activities planned, but no other pilots in the group so no one wants to hang around little airplanes all day with me!

Well I’m here again this time for three months. Would love to meet up with anyone and everyone. I’m already missing my workshop.

I spent a year in Wichita Falls one month. Biggest excitement was watching the herds of jackrabbits run around near the flightline.

I went to sheppard for tech school. Not much going on around that area. My afsc was 2a6x4 aircraft fuel systems. If you get bored enough drop in over at the school and practice with some proseal!

There are two of us in Altus, RV-6 and RV-4.

The EAA chapter that meets up at Sundance in OKC has more than a few RVs.

There are two of us in Altus, RV-6 and RV-4.

The EAA chapter that meets up at Sundance in OKC has more than a few RVs.
Please include Chapter 1612 in your comments about EAA around OKC. There are a fair share of RVs in that chapter as well. They meet the second Saturday of each month (the February meeting is a week from tomorrow on 2/10/2018. It will be at Page airport at 11:30. Pot luck lunch.)

You might also want to make your way down from Wichita Falls to Northwest Regional (52F). I am sure Doug would show you around quite a few of the Rvs there.

So does anyone know of an IFR certified rental airplane in the area? There’s a 152 but I really want four seats. Not coming up with anything. We’re trying to get down to Huston for two days to see Gaylon and his RV-10. Thanks!

A Thousand Years Ago...

When I was a young T-38 IP up there (1980-83 timeframe) the base had an aero club with a few 172's (actually old T-41's) some 150's and a Beech Sierra.

Is the club still operating? If so, you might wander by there...

If not, never mind.

Rob

No aero club on base any longer. Not sure when it shut down. It sure would be nice to have one here.

I did find a 172 IFR for rent and got that on the schedule.

Now just looking for Paul Bonner's contact information. He has a flying 10 at Wichita Valley that I'd love to see. If anyone has it, can they PM me?

Thanks!

Black Hole of GA

When I was at Ft Sill the adjacent town of Lawton was a Black Hole of General Aviation. Ft Sill AeroClub shut down just a couple of years into my first time there. In town, no schools, few if any rentals beyond an occasional 150 and a dismal FBO.

Wichita Falls seemed to have had a better GA population back then with a number of airports and active fliers. I used to frequent Kickapoo, Danaher and Wichita Valley and there seemed to be activity. Looks like it has slowed down somewhat since I was last there almost 20 years ago.

Back