What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few questions on the interior

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi, This is my first time in this section of the forum, I have recently purchased a 10 and enjoying the heck out of it.
I'm getting my list together as I start making improvements, I would like to ask a few questions.
I have been searching through the archives but have only found a couple of things on the door handles and nothing on a few other things that need attention.
1) What is the current remedy for safety latches on the doors?
2) Door seals I have heard that there is a better solution than Van offers?
3) Head set holders when not in use, does anyone sell something that will work or are you making a bracket?
4) The shoulder harness is killing my neck, any remedy to keep them spread apart?
5) Shoulder harness holders when not in use, does anyone sell them or are you making them? Are retractable available?
Thanks for the info,
Tim

Sean Strasburg's kit.
McMaster Carr seal.
Throttle/Mixture-Frt. Velcro-Rear.
Crow Harness?
I fabricated my own bracket from .063" aluminum. Attached using 10-32 screws into composite inserts epoxy/floxed in cabin cover.

Enjoy the -10!

Hi Tim,

You can find Sean's third door latch kit here. It's awesome!

Also, there are some headset and seat belt brackets available here if you don't want to fabricate your own. We just hang our headsets over the throttle quadrant or over seat backs in the back seat. We do love the seat belt bracket though.

I'm not sure about your shoulder harness problem. We have crow seat belts and haven't experienced a problem with the shoulder harnesses.

Hi, This is my first time in this section of the forum, I have recently purchased a 10 and enjoying the heck out of it.
I'm getting my list together as I start making improvements, I would like to ask a few questions.
I have been searching through the archives but have only found a couple of things on the door handles and nothing on a few other things that need attention.

1) What is the current remedy for safety latches on the doors?
2) Door seals I have heard that there is a better solution than Van offers?

No question, as Wayne and Brandi have stated, get Sean's safety latch. While it's not the only solution on the market, I think it's the best. It's pretty easy to retofit in a flying RV-10.

3) Head set holders when not in use, does anyone sell something that will work or are you making a bracket?

I have a bracket similiar to Plane Inovations (the link Brandi provided), but I haven't installed it yet. I have lights on my overhead that get in the way if I install it in it's intended location. I haven't made a decision where I'm going to install yet and probably won't until I'm flying for awhile.

4) The shoulder harness is killing my neck, any remedy to keep them spread apart?

There are pads you can get for the strap that may ease the abrasion on your neck and shoulders.

5) Shoulder harness holders when not in use, does anyone sell them or are you making them? Are retractable available?
Thanks for the info,
Tim

Yes to both. I have a bracket similiar to the Plane Inovation one that I have installed in my overhead just behond the front seat. Yes, there are retractable harnesses available. David McNeill used to sale them for the RV-10.

bob

H
Thanks for the info,
Tim
Here's what I did for strap hangers
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=MauleDriver&project=224&category=7984&log=152315&row=4

For headset holders, I took a length of soft aluminum tubing (fuel tubing), bent it into a J hook, flattened a small section to drill and put a screw/rivet thru and fastened to the bulkhead that's down by your ankle. The location keeps them out of sight, out of the sun, and easily at hand.

Here's what I did for strap hangers
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=MauleDriver&project=224&category=7984&log=152315&row=4

For headset holders, I took a length of soft aluminum tubing (fuel tubing), bent it into a J hook, flattened a small section to drill and put a screw/rivet thru and fastened to the bulkhead that's down by your ankle. The location keeps them out of sight, out of the sun, and easily at hand.

Nice idea but I had already purchased the brackets recommended. Thanks,

I have purchased the headset and shoulder brackets that were recommended. The headset bracket I used existing bolts to mount.
What about the seatbelt bracket? Has anyone mounted one in a finished aircraft, can I use a very short sheet metal screw to mount? What area is the thickest or best location to mount?

I got a self taught crash course on the dismantle of the interior yesterday. The pilots stick grip had a bad hat switch, I called Tosten, explained the problem and he sent me a new one free of charge. Didn't take long to figure out I was going to need to remove the seats to get to the wiring. Without the search features here, I couldn't imagine how long it would have been fumbling through how to get the seats out. It also gave me a chance to pull the tunnel cap off and get a good look of the infrastructure.
I added a 696 and a console, not sure if I want to paint the console or cover it, its going to get a lot of abuse and I'm not sure how the paint will hold up.

Back