What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seats question

Subwaybob

Well Known Member
OK, UPS has possibly lost my leather seats from Classic Aero that cost me an arm and a leg and 3 months waiting. :mad: They were the fastest making them by the way.

So here is my question:
Who has used a local solution for seats? (Or a home solution) How did you do this? Measure, take them foam and say cover this? How and who did you use? By who I mean that in a generic sense. You probably don't live next to me so...

This may even be a temp solution and I MAY reorder if they are not found. I'm so mad right now I may fly on a soap box. Be the first RV with real bench seating.

Responses appreciated.

Bob, I worked for a paint shop that did maybe 40 interiors a year. Later my wife and I did quite a few. I've also farmed it out for owners. There are certainly custom car and boat guys near you and some are incredible upholsterers. The trick is to really look at their stitch work and the lay of the upholstery pieces (wrinkles, fit, wandering stitch lines). If you find someone, provide them with the foam base and have a detailed talk about what you expect.

I had my Archer (PA-28) Seats made by a local auto shop in Tyler and will do the same with my RV seats. They were amazing! I was in a large FBO hanger and every time I showed up to fly someone would be looking at my upholstery. He also did my side panels and covered all my plastic in imitation leather. This was about 6 years ago and I he did all of it for $1,500 not including material. I?m sure you can find some really good upholstery shops around Big D.

I had mine done locally

Four cloth seat covers and rear seat foams for $650 total. They are warm in the winter, cool in the summer, lightweight and inexpensive. Stitches are not perfect and neither are we.

Mine are home grown but it's a LOT of work. I drew the design I wanted straight on the foam and used a clear shower curtain to transfer it to some freezer paper with a seam allowance. I then cut Ultraleather and 1/4" sew foam from the patterns and stitched them together on a regular duty sewing machine with upholstery thread. The Ultraleather is nice and thin enough to sew. I added eyelets to the seams on the inside and ran some string through the eyelets and into the foam, pulling it tight and tying it on the backside of the foam. This pulled the covers to the foam and made them look better.

For a temp solution, cheap king size pillow cases work exceptionally well. :)

Mine are home grown but it's a LOT of work. I drew the design I wanted straight on the foam and used a clear shower curtain to transfer it to some freezer paper with a seam allowance. I then cut Ultraleather and 1/4" sew foam from the patterns and stitched them together on a regular duty sewing machine with upholstery thread. The Ultraleather is nice and thin enough to sew. I added eyelets to the seams on the inside and ran some string through the eyelets and into the foam, pulling it tight and tying it on the backside of the foam. This pulled the covers to the foam and made them look better.

For a temp solution, cheap king size pillow cases work exceptionally well. :)

How about you guys just do mine! Classic Aero called me back and assured me that I could have seats before I fly. They also have a loaner seat they are sending so I can make adjustments. Thanks everyone for all the input. Keep em coming for the next guy or lady that may need it if you wish!

I sure hope classic aero insured their shipment. If you are in a rush to get seats we can probably work something out. Im in dallas and have seats, but im well away from flying.

Back