What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Tip-Up Canopy Installation Request

mcgaughy

Patron
I'm preparing to work on the rear canopy portion of my RV-7a Tip-up. (Same Fuselage as the RV-9a). Also, I'm using Sikaflex. I was wondering if anyone had a jig or device that helps hold the rear portion of the canopy tight against the fuselage skin while the sikaflex cures. If so, I was wondering if you would be willing to ship to me (I pay for shipping) and then I promise to pass along to another builder after I finish using it.

Thanks
Ellis

Inflatable clamps

I'm preparing to work on the rear canopy portion of my RV-7a Tip-up. (Same Fuselage as the RV-9a). Also, I'm using Sikaflex. I was wondering if anyone had a jig or device that helps hold the rear portion of the canopy tight against the fuselage skin while the sikaflex cures. If so, I was wondering if you would be willing to ship to me (I pay for shipping) and then I promise to pass along to another builder after I finish using it.

Thanks
Ellis

Mine is a slider but I remember one builder who used inflatable balls of various sizes. I thought it was brilliant.

Super easy to make your own from scraps of wood. Here is what I did.

IMG_2723-M.jpg

Build a simple shelf to sit on the longerons, then find some springy, thin material and insert them as appropriate. I used some leftover wood veneer plywood from our kitchen remodel. Just a little bit of foam on the ends to prevent scratches and provide some grip. These have already been passed on to another builder, so I can't ship them to you.

Balls

I copied Bruce’s idea but used inflatable balls instead of wood. The balls were a couple of bucks each at the toy store. I just played with the inflation until I got the coverage and pressure I wanted. Sorry the balls went to my grandchildren.

Thanks for the compliment Wirejock assuming that was directed my way. I was just too lazy to cut the wood strips and the ball idea seemed like less work.

Here is the details. http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=9962&log=212262&row=4

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I just did this task this past weekend. I went back and forth on what method to use and settled on the "wood pushers" method:

I also use the wood spacers as shown in the pictures on my RV14. I used rigid boards rather than flexible strips with thick foam on the end acting as the “spring”. Remember you will need some kind of spacer between the plexi and the skin to prevent the Sika from all squeezing out. I used a strand of fishing line tack glued to the skin - other methods have been used successfully.

Back