- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Default Ditto what cderk said

Being a newbie to this building thing, I'm finding the EAA Amateur Built Certification kit EAA put together very helpful. Very well worth the $12.99 (member price).

https://www.eaa.org/Shop/ProductCata...spx?ID=2583379

Doug
RV-7
Final stretch
Old 03-07-2020, 06:58 AM

I had 7 1" binders with notes, drawings, sketches, calculations, and no physical pictures. I had a thousand digital pictures. No time log and only dated notes in several formats. Some on vendor instructions, some on Vans drawings, some in a note book and some in word. The (excellent) DAR opens one binder and asks me a question and then stopped me. He was satisfied I did build the airplane.

I must have looked a a dozen ways to do documentation and tried 4-5 ways. Even digital, to upload manage files and have access to the original files from any platform in the house was difficult. Having electronics around flying aluminum dust is not good for the equipment. Thoughts are fleeting, so keeping something close at had worked best for me. Although my documentation is good, it is certainly not organized for general review, but any specific need to know can be found, but not like a search bar. The one thing that was hard to find was pictures of me working. I had lots of "hand" pictures which the FAA found funny in the repairman interview. That seemed to be acceptable.

It might take 100 hrs to scan and get it uploaded and still not be in a searchable database order.

The tools and methods to achieve the FAA expected outcome need to be available and a long opt-out transition time for the in-process builders, the conversion at the end will be very painful. It is recommended they think through the whole process, not just the FAA end, and help facilitate accessible tools and processes that are easy to use. Then there is that kit bought with no build documentation at all.

Good luck Rock, keep this moving, we want to hear about your first flight!!

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
“I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.”

Last edited by BillL : 03-07-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:48 PM

I'm a DAR in the Northwest. "Major portion" or the "51%" rule is a bit grey. Any evidence that a builder can produce such as photos, build logs, build manuals with notations and dates, etc. can serve to comply with the order. Another grey area is the commercial "educational" assistance. Paying another to assist in the build in most cases is commercial assistance, and is subtracted from the major portion. Paying someone for educational assistance and guidance is allowed by the order. It is up to the ASI or DAR to make the determination at the time of inspection. Several "Kits" have been evaluated by the FAA "NKET" team, and based upon their evaluation, one can determine how much commercial assistance can be purchased and still be in compliance. For non "NKET" kits and plans built, the 2011 "51%" checklist is a good guide.

Regards,

Gary
Old 11-19-2020, 07:32 PM

Thanks Gary.
I did pass my inspection and had the first flight earlier this month. I only had one item to tighten - and as much as I hate to have Vic see this, it was a lose jam nut. I can guarantee that nut will never be lose again.

Now Im working on my Repairman's Certificate. I sent an email to my local FAA office and they replied with links to the forms and the offer to answer questions and send a draft they he will check to make sure it is all correct. I was pleasantly surprised to get a response from them so fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS CERTIFIED 10-19-2020.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	4873  
Flying N376E
Old 11-26-2020, 12:15 PM

I am a DAR in the Northwest. The applicant uploading the log is optional as long as it is available at the time of inspection. Also, on the AWC site, there is reference to a document 8000-38 ( cancelled form); instead, if the aircraft is not on the NKET evaluation list or if there was commercial assistance, the client can upload the 2011 "major portion - 51%" check list.

gary
Old 12-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Can anyone advise how to edit/delete documents in AWC on the application once it has been sent to the FAA? I need to make a correction but there is no “action”
column showing with my list of documents. My chosen DAR is not real savvy on it.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmarshall View Post
Can anyone advise how to edit/delete documents in AWC on the application once it has been sent to the FAA? I need to make a correction but there is no “action”
column showing with my list of documents. My chosen DAR is not real savvy on it.
Keith,

Once you submit it to the FAA there's really no way for you to make any changes. Your DAR should return the application to you so you can make the corrections and then resubmit. Or, send the doc to the DAR and he/she can add it. I always return the application to the applicant and let them make the changes.

Joe
Old 12-21-2020, 09:28 AM

Thanks the response! That’s kinda what I am finding out,no way for me to edit once submitted.