What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

strain relief on already assembled d-shell cables

scrockard

I need to add a cable strain relief back onto a discrete wire based data cable after the original heat shrink tubing has been cut off. Does anyone have a favorite way of doing this for a D-Sub shell based cable?

The pins are not removable (solder cup style) so removing all connections and putting a new heat shrink on and soldering back up is work which I'd like to avoid.

I've been looking at a product called Sugru that looks interesting. It's kind of expensive but the idea is right.

Is there anything else that anybody uses?

Thanks,
Scott

I have some of that silicone tape and that is the first thing that I tried. I believe that although it will probably strain relief ok, it didn't seem like it would stick together over time?

That is what's on there now... It's maybe ok... As compared to shrink wrap tubing, it doesn't look very professional but it probably will do the job.

Thanks,
Scott

Old school...waxed lacing cord.

Also, you could wrap with a single layer of UHMW tape (aka flap chafe tape).

I need to add a cable strain relief back onto a discrete wire based data cable after the original heat shrink tubing has been cut off. Does anyone have a favorite way of doing this for a D-Sub shell based cable?

The pins are not removable (solder cup style) so removing all connections and putting a new heat shrink on and soldering back up is work which I'd like to avoid.

I've been looking at a product called Sugru that looks interesting. It's kind of expensive but the idea is right.

Is there anything else that anybody uses?

Thanks,
Scott

Wrap the cable in electrical tape at the point where the shell hole is so it's a tight fit on the tape when the shell is closed. We've been building engine harnesses like that for over 20 years- thousands of them and never a failure yet.

There are basically two types of shells. One type requires you to route the wires through some type of grommet. The other type is two haves that get squeezed together when you assemble the shell or maybe a separate strain relief. You just need to find one of the second type. Additional strain relief of the cabling can be done by lacing as suggested previously.

All of my d-shell connectors are the clam shell style. Some even have a funky internal metal strain relief which I don't trust or like due to metal squeezing wire and chafing concerns. I might have wrapped the wires in those cases internally with a silicone tape layer before using that metal clamp.

Those different tape ideas expressed will probably all work just fine - especially if that clam shell is holding the tape together.

I'll inspect those connectors all again tonight and make sure that the tape is snug against the clam shell case and then perhaps extend an inch or so beyond that case too. That should be good enough I hope.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Scott

Back