What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

build question 7 or 12

Azjulian

Well Known Member
Hi - I need to go and fly both, but I was interested in how people have been making a build decision between an RV12 and a RV7 ?

I didn't want to go for an RV12 build without thinking about doing an RV7.

Julian

Well those are two completely different planes with different missions. I think first you need to define your mission.

7 vs 12

7vs 12 ??? I would think you would have to define what you want your plane to do also your age and health . 12 is a really nice little plane and the Rotax has a proven track record . The 12 fuel burn is low but so is its airspeed ( the 7 probably gets better mpg) .
The 7 is aerobatic and a faster cross country machine . Use a used engine and a simple panel it could be built for less money than the 12
Both are great planes , sit in each and maybe a flight will help your decision

The two are so far apart in terms of, well, everything... I can't imagine the choice for your needs not being obvious. They're both responsive, nimble, great flying 2-seat side by side airplanes and both come from Van's. That's about where the similarities end. Two completely different airplanes for two completely different missions.

The 12 is a fine airplane if you are looking for a non-aerobatic, 110-120 knot airplane with very limited baggage capacity that's relatively cheap to fly (Rotax and mogas). If you need to go LSA it's the only RV choice, and arguably the best LSA choice.

The 7 is a LOT faster, is aerobatic, carries more, has longer range, can be built with a sliding canopy and/or tailwheel, gives you easy choices for different engines and props, and on and on.

I know I'll get arguments left and right when I say this, but the cost to build either one to similar levels of equipment is about neck and neck.

This is my intended use.

local flying weekly with a couple of longer trips 500nm+ trips per year.

VFR only.

Don't plan on aerobatics at this time.

would do most of maintenance myself.

Also Dale - what made you trade your 7 for a 12 ?
See that open wound? Poke it with a stick, willya? :rolleyes:

I was building an RV-7. Had a heart attack. Found out I wouldn't be able to get an SI. Kept on building, pending the outcome of three separate efforts to get some third-class medical reform. Once the final compromise on PBOR2 was made public, it was obvious I was wasting my time. So, I sold the RV-7 project and bought a flying RV-12 rather than start over from scratch. The 12 I found was priced right and I still have plenty to do (those two facts are directly related).

So, I went from an anticipated 3 statute mile/minute airplane to about 2/3 that, but I can fly it until either it or I am just too old and tired to fly any more. I like the Rotax, I like paying under $2.50 a gallon for mogas. It's just as roomy (if you can call it that) as the 7, but with about half the baggage capacity. And it's mine, and it flies.

If you don't need to go real fast or upside down, it's a pretty darn nice little airplane. Just leave fifteen minutes ahead of your RV-7 flying buddies on the burger run.

Both will fulfill your mission very well. I was really surprised at how roomy and comfortable the -12 was. It took a little doing to get past the non-RV standard look and getting in from the front if the wing, but I got past them fine. The -12 would be substantially faster to build and would take less guesswork because of all of the packages they offer. It also has the benefit of being an LSA.

The -7 is a fantastic airplane too. It is faster and hauls more. This will likely only come into play for you on your longer trips. I would disagree that the -7 is more fuel efficient. The main benefit of the -7 over the -12 for your mission is that the -7 prefers Avgas while the -12 prefers mogas, so you won't have to haul gas cans. The cost of fuel, however, is a benefit of the -12.

This is my intended use.

local flying weekly with a couple of longer trips 500nm+ trips per year.

VFR only.

Don't plan on aerobatics at this time.

would do most of maintenance myself.

Sounds like a 9 would be best.

Tim

7 vs 12

MPG , just checked the forums The 12 is faster than I thought .
Most are planning 115 knots @ 4.8 gph = 27 mpg

I get a little less MPG , 25 mpg ..... But at 175 knts.
And 100 LL is about 50% more than 92 LL

I think the 9 vs 12 would be a better comparison.

I was thinking 9 vs 12 was a better comparison instead of the 7.

I would decide if you want to be a builder or owner. You stated you wanted to work on it, but if you really don't WANT to build it the 12 has a big advantage on the working on it side.

Lots of searching and reading on this forum will give you many perspectives, all are correct depending on your mission/goals.

I loved both my 8's and my 10 however the 12 has been a complete surprise vs my original expectation. It is roomy, cruises at 140mph and burns 93 octane. When you consider the fuel burn vs a 7 or 8 vs distance I find them to almost be the same. I plan on flying mine to Oshkosh this year. This thing handles like an RV it's just a little slower. Take off and landing in this airplane is simple, the 7 or 8 will eat your lunch if you don't stay ahead of them although once you have them mastered they are also simple. I do understand the same is true for the 12 but it is just much easier to manage. If you go with the 12 it is far easier to build and about half the time. The Rotax is great, runs like a car.

With all this said I do plan on selling mine later this year and jumping back in a 7A, again it's just about your mission or personal desire.

The 12 like all the other RV's is a great aircraft.

Last edited:
Back