What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X, Pathways, and Instrument approach entries

GTWreck

I'm hoping this is a case of me not doing something right, or I have something misconfigured. In the process of doing my Phase 1 flyoff, I wanted to get to know my avionics better, specifically how they behave during instrument approaches.

My panel is G3x (original) and GTN650. All databases are up to date.

Here's the setup: Doing the RNAV 12 approach to KOPN coming in from the north. Approach is loaded into the GTN650, with JOTER as the IAF. Once the approach is activated, the Pathways (highway in the sky) boxes appear and take me to JOTER. Coming in from the north, the GTN650 gives me a teardrop entry to the approach. Once I cross JOTER, the pathways boxes disappear. Only after I complete the teardrop entry, and cross JOTER again, do the boxes reappear. All the while I'm in the teardrop, the HSI is still giving me directions based on input from the GTN650.

So, am I missing something here? How do I get pathways for approach entries? Or is the G3X just not capable of displaying them in this scenario?

Hello Aaron,

What you are seeing is probably nothing out of the ordinary. Due to the way the GTN outputs flight plan data, it may not always be possible to display the supplemental Pathways guidance in every conceivable case - in particular, some types of holding pattern entries and procedure turns. As you noted, the information on the map and HSI is still present, and of course the autopilot and flight director would still be available.

- Matt

Back