What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming Interior Wing Skins - Procedural Question

kjowen

Well Known Member
Guys,
I'm getting ready to prime all the parts for my front wing section -- the ones with the landing light cut out. I've removed the blue skin off the inside completely and strips of blue plastic off the outside just enough to get a proper dimple on the rib attach holes. I'm ready to prime, but I'm concerned about overspray on to the top sides of the skins?
I thought about recovering the outside with painters tape or does it matter if I do get some over spray on the outside? I'm going to paint when it's all done, so won't the outside get a good cleaning prior to painting?
What have others done?
Thanks
K

Guys,
I'm getting ready to prime all the parts for my front wing section -- the ones with the landing light cut out. I've removed the blue skin off the inside completely and strips of blue plastic off the outside just enough to get a proper dimple on the rib attach holes. I'm ready to prime, but I'm concerned about overspray on to the top sides of the skins?
I thought about recovering the outside with painters tape or does it matter if I do get some over spray on the outside? I'm going to paint when it's all done, so won't the outside get a good cleaning prior to painting?
What have others done?
Thanks
K

I wouldn't worry much, you might get a bit of overspray but you could use a bit of tape and some newspaper to mask it off completely. Don't overthink it ;)

Overspray won't hurt anything; it'll just mean a bit more elbow grease later when prepping for paint.

Overspray

It didn't overspray on mine. If it did, I didn't see it. Laquer thinner will wipe off overspray easily.

I just masked it off. You can get some painters 12" wide masking paper at HD or Lowes. I use it all the time. It comes in a roll. If I got the newspaper I guess you could use that, but I don't. This stuff is on a roll and very convenient to use. I use it all the time.

Back