What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bracket rivet interference

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
28bhfh5.jpg

os77yd.jpg

After rechecking the plans several times I can't see how this is right. The plans call for the outboard aileron hinge bracket to be countersunk and an AN426-4-7 rivet to be installed with the flush side on the outboard bracket. When the ailerons are installed per the plans with all the washers in place, I only have about a 32nd of an inch of clearance when the aileron rotates between the shop head and the aileron bracket installed on the aileron itself. If the head were to be installed in the other direction there would have been almost 1/4 inch of distance between the outboard aileron bracket and the shop head of the rivet. See pics. Has anyone run into this? My fix so far has been to relocate the washers for more clearance.

28bhfh5.jpg

os77yd.jpg

After rechecking the plans several times I can't see how this is right. The plans call for the outboard aileron hinge bracket to be countersunk and an AN426-4-7 rivet to be installed with the flush side on the outboard bracket. When the ailerons are installed per the plans with all the washers in place, I only have about a 32nd of an inch of clearance when the aileron rotates between the shop head and the aileron bracket installed on the aileron itself. If the head were to be installed in the other direction there would have been almost 1/4 inch of distance between the outboard aileron bracket and the shop head of the rivet. See pics. Has anyone run into this? My fix so far has been to relocate the washers for more clearance.

Looking at my preview plans it appears the washers are installed wrong in the picture. The side with 2 washers should be on the aileron side and will increase the distance from the rivet head to the aileron bracket. It also appears the bracket is running at an angle to the aileron which also supports my conclusion about the washers.

Van's Goof

This is one place better not to follow the plans. Drill 'em out and countersink for double flush rivets. You may want to reposition the aileron for various reasons. Ridding both surfaces of the bracket of shop heads gives you best flexibility and no potential for interference with flight controls.

John Siebold

Looking at my preview plans it appears the washers are installed wrong in the picture. The side with 2 washers should be on the aileron side and will increase the distance from the rivet head to the aileron bracket

Don, referencing drawing 13A for the RV7 section B-B shows the washers as I have them installed. It does say in the note (Adjust washers as Req'd for proper fit) I guess I just need to relocate the washers for more clearance. I might have to resort to double flush riveting before this will give me a final warm fuzzy though.

This is a fun one!!!! It took me a week of debating & several conversations with other builders (&Van's) before I countersunk anything on these darn brackets. I believe these are correct & your washer count is just out.

brackets

I had the same problem but for a different reason I wanted my wings as far back as possible and that made my flaps to aileron gap tight and I need aileron as far outboard as possible so it was hitting rivet with bracket so I drilled out the rivet and installed #3 bolt with a short aluminum tubing spacer to the inside and it became my aileron stops by doing this on each side works like a champ.
Bob

Fix

Thanks for all the input. Man, this forum is invaluable... Thanks DR! After speaking with Sterling at vans he said the easiest way to get the desired clearance was to drill out the two -4 rivets and double flush rivet them back in. I now have plenty of room to play around with the washers for proper fit and don't have to worry about the shop heads making contact with the side of the aileron bracket.

2s7f0o0.jpg

5khc88.jpg

Not completely square. Now I can adjust the washers to move the hinge bracket left or right without having the rivet heads in the way. I can't wait to dive into the electrical system…...:eek:

dpcvop.jpg

Last edited:
Double flush!

I just went through the same conversation with Sterling and Van's ... he said the outboard sides of the bracket are countersunk, but I love the suggestion do 'em double flush. I'm building mine that way!

Back