What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-907 Doubler is Warped

RVdreamin

Okay step one question...My HS-907 doubler is warped lengthwise that when you set it on the table the middle is about 3/4" off the table (imagine what a bridge would look like). I thought this may have occurred when they cut the doubler and drilled all the holes at the factory so I carefully bent it straight. Then I thought should I have left it and just clecoed it as the directions said, or was the warp a problem that I should not have corrected? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jimmy-
you are on the right path... I had the same question when I started my build. you'll find that all of the "beefy" doublers are "warped" due to the punching process. Bend them back straight the best you can & build on... you think the HS doublers are bad? have you taken a look at the doubler for the VS rear spar? :eek:

Daniel....Thanks....that is re-assurring. It's one of those things where I think I am right, but this is a first for me. The last thing I want to hear is "you bent a warped doubler and installed it? Are you kidding...This thing will fall apart in the air now." :)

Jimmy,

It's been a while since I did build my HS but as I recall my 907 was warped, too. It's fairly thick and I believe the stamping machine causes it to be warped. The double needs to fit flat against the spar and if it does and the rivet holes line up, I'm pretty sure your fine. Whether you got there by clecoing the parts or "gently bending" the doubler flat wouldn't seem to matter.

Keep building.

This is the best network....you guys are awesome. It's nice being among like-minded folks who do not mind sharing information.

Yup, it was warped here also. After-effect of the stamping, like people have said. The clecos most likely won't have enough grip to hold it down in the flattened position. But when you apply a couple hundred pounds of pressure on the rivets that hold it in place to the spars, it'll gladly submit to your will. ;)

Just wait until you start fluting ribs. You want to talk about warped... :eek:

Warped

I try to straighten everything. It just seems like good practice to me. I have straightend doublers, angles, bulkheads, etc. Sometimes it takes a creative approach to get them nice and straight.

Back