What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Kitlog / Stolen computer

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
We had several smash & grabs happen in my neighborhood this past week. It just so happens that my car was a victim & my laptop with all of my log files / pictures on it was stolen... Fun Fun Fun, right? Is there anyway to down load the log entries that I have uploaded to the website? I don't want to log in and blow out my whole exsiting log. Any ideas? I have a week before my new computer gets here & kinda want to figure this out before it comes.

Don't worry I've learned my lesson about backing stuff up now (a little too late).

Thanks all!

Da** rn Daniel. WE have had some of that here too. Now we're going to make it easy for the authorities to find the individuals.

Try contacting Matt at kitlog, he should be able to help. The only file you need to be back in business is the database file.

Bird

I had a laptop die with kitlog on it. I contacted Kitlog before Matt purchased it. They had some method to sync the existing data on the web database to my new installation of the Kitlog software.

And for the future, install Dropbox or SkyDrive or Google Drive on your computer, then move the MS Access database file for Kitlog to the cloud drive directory (and tell Kitlog where it is when you next start it). The Access db file will automatically be backed up all the time. Other advantages are you can make entries from multiple computers to the same Access db file, just install the same cloud drive software and Kitlog on them.

Bingo

Couldn't have stated it better.

As a side note: My problem is that Kitlog doesn't work on my other machines so I'm stuck running it on my laptop as a virtual computer running Windows XP :(

And for the future, install Dropbox or SkyDrive or Google Drive on your computer, then move the MS Access database file for Kitlog to the cloud drive directory (and tell Kitlog where it is when you next start it). The Access db file will automatically be backed up all the time. Other advantages are you can make entries from multiple computers to the same Access db file, just install the same cloud drive software and Kitlog on them.

GREAT SERVICE!!! THANKS KITLOG!!!

I know some folks complain about Kit Log for lacking bells & whistles etc. I have to say that I am a very happy camper!!! Matt @ Kit Log returned my email within 24 hours with FULL detailed instructions on how to get my data back on a new machine... He also included all of my software registration info. I'd say that I got pretty darn good customer service & am happy I purchased kit log. I'll admit that I'm a web - page building dumby :eek: so this software works out awesome for me.:D

I know some folks complain about Kit Log for lacking bells & whistles etc. I have to say that I am a very happy camper!!! Matt @ Kit Log returned my email within 24 hours with FULL detailed instructions on how to get my data back on a new machine...

That's great, and I'm impressed he can recreate the Access DB file from the website. If that's possible, I wonder how difficult it would be to synchronize the two so that one could edit/add to the website and have the DB updated.

My gripe with Kitlog is that NO updates have been done in the 5+ years I've had it. He promised some a few months ago but nothing. Kitlog and its website could be a great resource for studying other people's builds and getting ideas, but it needs some changes to be truly useful.

I'd also like to somehow make edits from an iPad or other tablet. But that's nearly impossible now, the only way is to use the iPad to remotely login to your own computer and use Kitlog there.

Back