What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why we fly

Indy

I know I don't need to convince anyone on here about WHY we love to fly, and why we love our planes, but had to share one of those "ah ha" moments from last week. You know those certain, unplanned moments in the air that are almost spiritual when you have a front row seat to witness something special? I left North Carolina later than I wanted so I flew about 30 minutes in the dark, but man it was worth it. This picture does not do justice to the beauty of a Memorial Day sunset last week over Georgia. Smooth as glass, in solitude with an unrestricted view of the world around me from the bubble perch of my magic carpet ride. After the sun set, when there was just a sliver of twilight left, a small line of scattered clouds passed below--the twilight illuminating them just enough to look like an army of bluish gray ghosts silently charging past. And if it couldn't get any better, turning off the cockpit lights for a moment once the twilight had turned to darkness, to look up at nothing but a sea of stars. Too bad my wife wasn't with me to call it her birthday present. Communion with the sky. Amen.
4hwleu.jpg

img0602n.jpg

yes, i love those moments. might be the start of a new thread.

WHY WE FLY - ARIEL PHOTO ;);)

Great tread and great pics!

Here's a pic taken i january 2012 during a 2-ship formation sortie.

The sun is about to settle below the horizon and we are on the way back to our homebase ENRY. (Rygge AFB south in the Oslofjord)

The wiew was breathtaking, so I had my passenger snap off a few shots of lead.

This is alittle closer to the airport and the fjord is easily visible:

Back