What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 pilot demands

awilson

I know this is a difficult question to answer but what level of piloting skills are required to build an RV-8? I guess in comparison to a 6 or some other known reference point? I am a low time pilot with only experience in Cessnas and recently a Cub. But I love the tandem seating and military paint schemes. Should someone like me be a passive fan due to inexperience or can someone handle the RV-8 with a little training. I guess the best thing to do would be to fly one. I would need to find someone in the Chicago area.
Any insight would be appreciated.

No piloting skills required however just good common sense is all you need to build. Vans kits are outstanding and lead you through the process. The only real requirement is the need to stick with it.

Your post is a little unclear:

Are you asking about skills to build one?

Or are you asking about pilot skills to fly one?

If the latter, low time isn't necessarily a problem if it's the right time. Meaning taildragger experience. Unless you are thinking of an RV-8A in which case modern trainers set you up pretty well.

But another aspect to consider is that the RV-8/A is aerobatic. If you want to do some aerobatics then you'll probably want to get a good bit of instruction.

RV-8 Flying

Alan,

A little unsure what you are asking- is it pilot skills to fly one or building skills to build one?

If it is the former- I think you will find the RV-8 (don't discount an RV-4) is exceedingly easy to fly. It really does become an extension of yourself as opposed to you flying a Spam Can production high wing (I say that with all due respect to the high wingers out there). Each of the RV tailwheel airplanes has it's own little quirks depending on it's personality. The RV-8 flies well and lands straightforward as long as you have the proper transition training in an RV-8.

I have flown the -3, -4, -6, -7 & -8 (all TW) and they are RVs after all and are a hoot to fly. I am a little partial to the -4 but the -8 does offer more room and baggage options.

You definitely need to find a couple RVs near you and bribe the owners with lunch. Any time you say the word "free" around a pilot you are gauranteed to get a response. Now if you throw in some "free adult beverages" after flying you will have then lined up to take you.

Good luck,
Oly

Thanks guys, I meant pilot skills. Sorry for the less than clear post. I built a Zenith STOL CH-701 from plans so my confidence in the build is not a concern of mine. BUT no more scratch building,,,,, no way. That was 2000+ hours. Wouldn't trade it for anything,,, wouldn't do it again.
The 701 has very light controls. I found if fun. You need it to do something and it does it, now. But never feels unstable. I just figured an RV-8 as "High performance". I wouldn't want to be a pilot that gets involved in something he has no business flying just because he wants it so badly. That "It will be ok" wishful thinking can get you killed. I personaly wouldn't like that and the experimental community doesn't need the bad press.
I have less than 200 hours TT!!! There,,,I said it. That being said I have the proper safety conscience mindset. Always did. And I believe a good sense of my limitations. And I understand HOW planes fly, I don't just follow a set of rules.

I would love to pay for all the fuel, lunch, anything else for some time in an 8. There is no other way to make the decision. I never moooch and am very grateful. I assume I can go to Vans for a short flight but that is a long way from Chicago for a short intro flight.
But as a side note to the main topic: How long to build from a quickbuild kit? Real cost?
Hopefully that clears up my original question so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I was learning to fly high performance Mooneys back in the 1980's when I had about 100 hours TT, and I knowing what I know now I think I could have easily handled an 8 at that time if I had the tailwheel experience.

Respect the -8 IMHO and you will absolutely fall in love.

Alan,
I purchased my -8 with about 200 hours under my belt too and NO tailwheel time/endorsement. I could't even fly in home (thanks to Dan H).
It sat in my hangar 60 days while I got my tail wheel endorsement from a buddy of mine in this -6 and Widget in his -8.
IMHO, the -6 was harder to wheel land than ever my -8 because of the springy gear. I've never had any problem with full stall's either like some have indicated here, although I much more prefer wheel landing the -8 because I like to hear the greasing of my tires:eek:
You do wear the -8, and that's something that once you get used to, nothing beats it! It's the closest think I have found to strapping wings on my hips and a rocket to my ***, well you get the point.
I would not worry about the 180 HP or the CS prop either, the -8 is well suited with this set up.
I would say as with any tailwheel, keep your feet awake. You will learn what the rudder is all about. I almost always land with a side slip and my home airport always has a cross wind of 45 to 90 degrees, but once you learn directional control, the -8 has no problem.
I say go for it.... there is risk in anything, but as long as you respect the airplane and your limitations, there is very little substitute for the feeling of a tandem tail dragger:D

Seeing that you've only flown high-wings, stand by. You're gonna love the visibility and everything else inherent to an RV.

This is great info, I appreciate it. I guess I just assumed it would be too hot for the average pilot. Sounds like If you approach it correctly it can be done.

Deity status not needed. A monkey can fly an 8. Don't know if they can land one though. Proper nomex might help.

IMHO, the biggest piloting concerns would be getting accustomed to the amplified pitch sensitivity of the RVs over that of a spamcan. Its not insurmountable at all. I came from flying a Cherokee 140 to the world of flying RVs and it didn't take too long at all. If I can do it, anyone else can too. It only took a little transition training for me and I went from an RV4 to the RV8 and in not much time at all I was able to fly my friend's 8 to Oshkosh from Texas and back. Shortly after that I bought my RV6 and now have 3 round trips to Oshkosh and back in it as well as 2 round trips from Texas to Johnson Creek over the Rockies.

I hope to be flying an RV8a in a little over a week from now if all goes well with the pre-buy.
Can't wait to see the performance everyone talks about. I have a CFI lined up to get me started.

What do you see for fuel burn on a 0-360 CS at 13.5K? I am planning my fuel stops and I am conservative when it come to fuel reserves.

Fuel burn

At 11,500 ft, I run my 0360A1A, CS at full throttle about 19.2 MP, at that altitude, then set the RPM 24.8, (MP + RPM= 45) that gives me 174 kts or 201 mph. I can pull the power back to get a lower fuel burn but I just arrive later and burn the same amount of fuel. Take the speed. Just my $.02

If you're in the north suburbs, shoot me an e-mail. I'll take you for a ride if you can get up to 57C (East Troy, WI).

I had all of 120 hours in my logbook, mostly from the ninetys and mostly in Cherokees when my 8 was near flying status in April 2014. Hadn't flown a thing in 7 years and I had zero tailwheel hours.

With 4 hours in an RV9, about 15 hours in a Decathlon (afterwich I had BiAnnual and tailwheel endorsements in hand) and 3 hours in an RV-6 for transition, I was able to land my 8 and re-use it after.

I'm now at 86 hours on the 8 and over 200 total time and flying the 8 is a breeze. Comfortable throughout the W&B envelope and landings (mostly wheel) are consistent. Piece of cake.

email me at flyinmyrv8 at gmail dot com if you feel like driving up into God's country for a flight!

I had a few hundred hours in my logbook -- mostly in a Grumman Yankee, which was an excellent trainer for transitioning to RVs -- and sold that a couple years into my RV-8 build. Since I took so long building (13 years!), I hadn't flown anything in over a decade when I finally finished.

I did 4 hours in an old Cessna 140 to get current again and get my tailwheel endorsement. Danny King had made the first two flights in it to make sure that everything worked, so after my grand total of 4 hours of tailwheel flights to remember how to fly, I hopped into the -8 and lined up with the runway.

I won't claim that all of my landings have been perfect, but they've all been survivable. :D

Once you go up with one of the guys offering you a ride, it will all become clear to you ...

I am a low time pilot and purchased my RV-8 a couple years ago with only 65 hrs total time and hadn't flown in 10 years, a quick refresher 16 hrs in a Citabria and 7hrs dual in Mike Seagers RV-7 got me primed and ready for the -8. I now have close to 80 hrs on the -8 and I still smile every flight, it handles wonderfully but as with any tail dragger you have to be ahead of the airplane on landings.

Back