What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Factory Assisted Build Programs?

kjowen

Well Known Member
Being new to the sport, I just found out by reading the Feb. Sport Aviation that Lancair also has a factory builder assisted program. I was aware of the TWTT program for the sportsman for some time, I am sure there are others as well.

This got me to wonder, if VAN's has ever entertained a similar program, or for that matter, if anyone one besides myself would even be interested?

I have attempted a build the traditional way once before, but abandoned it, not just because I was building an aircraft similar to the one I ended up purchasing already flying, but I seem to have more of a jump in with two feet type of personality to get things done and the start, stop, start, stop schedule of the traditional build was very frustrating.

It seems to me a factory assist build program would be fairly attractive for a novice builder such as myself also for new builders with very little knowledge; To work beside and learn from Company associates with the correct tools and jigs would seem on the surface to be a great way to build confidence in future kit buyers and make significant progress on a build from the very start. I would also think that by dedicating 8 - 10 hours per day 6 days per week for two weeks or more would really improve one's skills and comfort level significantly.

I would think it would sorta be like going to summer school in college, you could get a whole semester of credit in about 6 weeks by going to class 2 1/2 hours per day instead of 50 mins over 12 weeks?

The quick build kit's I understand have become very popular and are a real time saver. I know you can also got the other route and pay someone to build the thing for you, i understand, however I still think a program of this type may be of some interest to some "on the fence" future kit builders. You get a great start on your airplane you built and an education at the same time.

Just thinking..... How about Van's opening a shop somewhere in the SE to try out this new business venture?:rolleyes:

Just thinking..... How about Van's opening a shop somewhere in the SE to try out this new business venture?

Boatloads of RV builder assistance already out there, including a few "on-call" come-to-you services.

A Vans QB kit is delivered at the construction equivalent of a Lancair factory assist program. The real reason for the Lancair assist is the jigs. Late model Vans kits are self jigging.

Way back when, I believe Van did offer a "factory" training class several times a year. There was even a special bucking bar that could be purchased at that time.

This was well before EAA and SportAir workshops were available.

I know you can also got the other route and pay someone to build the thing for you,

You can't LEGALLY pay someone else to build it for you. You can, however, buy one that someone just happens to have just finished building for his own education/recreation.

Good to know...

Boatloads of RV builder assistance already out there, including a few "on-call" come-to-you services.

A Vans QB kit is delivered at the construction equivalent of a Lancair factory assist program. The real reason for the Lancair assist is the jigs. Late model Vans kits are self jigging.

I talked to Vans several weeks ago about the quick build option. Per Vans most people go with QB nowadays. That's the way I would probably do my build, the TWTT programs seem nice on the surface, but it's not very easy coming up with all the money up front so customers would probably be scarce and I would think initial builder customization would be limited.

Glasair pretty much sells all the TWTT volume they can produce, so I'm not sure about the market not being there. Average price out the door is well north of $200K.

There seems to be a solid market for builder-assist with the bigger machines. At one point Glasair even did a test to see if they could apply the same TWTT process to the RV10. If you look at the people who are plunking down a half mil +++ for a Cirrus, paying a quarter mil for a Sportsman or RV10 looks like a bargoon!

(And before you even think of it, no, I'm NOT in that snack bracket. Our Sportsman is a very s_l_o_w build! LoL)

Back