What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron stop - nylon bushing

Rhino889

Well Known Member
I searched and read "aileron stop".

Can't find info:

Source where to purchase?
Diameter?

Thanks guys.

Reading the searches is taking up to much build time ;)

Source where to purchase?
search for Delrin Rod at Aircraft Spruce.

Diameter?
You should be able to look at the plans to figure that out. On the RV-9 the correct diameter is 7/8". It might be different on the RV-8. The plans should have a full size drawing of the aileron attachments to extrapolate the necessary diameter to get you down to where the stops are on the brackets.

I followed Smitty's instructions.

I've got a ton of 7/8" delrin rod left over, so if anyone out there wants some...

I have some

I just picked up a rod from ACS. I have lots if you want some.

PM me your address and when I'm down in Port CHarlotte next week, I'll send you a couple of inches.

Should be plenty.

Cheers,

Don

Believe it or not, the aviation dept at Lowes has this part - cut to size and with a center hole that fits perfectly for the bolt.

It's in the hardware dept in the section where they have the drawers of specialty bolts, etc.

Dan

I was in Mike Bullock's build log (see Van's builder web site list) looking for something else, and ran across his aileron stop page. He used 3/4" nylon. I have no idea how it's held up.

Believe it or not, the aviation dept at Lowes has this part - cut to size and with a center hole that fits perfectly for the bolt.

It's in the hardware dept in the section where they have the drawers of specialty bolts, etc.

Dan

Ditto here.

350 hours, always hangar'd. When they wear out, I will spend another $3 and replace them. Acutally, I bought extra when I got these.

Dan,

Thank you very much! I'll hit the Lowes tomorrow.

Don,

Thank you very much for the offer. I'm gonna hit the lowes.

Regards,

Scott

I have these on my plane as well.

My only concern is one day they may dry out or get brittle from UV rays and crack/fall off....

So I keep close eye on them during pre-flight!

One does not want these disappearing especially if you have the typical AP servo installed!

On the RV-9 the correct diameter is 7/8".
Hi Bruce-
Are you sure you're not getting too much aileron travel with that size delrin rod on the RV-9? Did you test it with both wings on the plane at the same time? (You have to do this because the up travel stop on one wing is the down travel stop on the other and the allowed amount of travel is not the same in both the up and down directions.) I too thought that the delrin rod was going to work when I had just one wing rigged but once both of my wings were on I found that in order to keep both up and down travel limits in spec that the rod had to be so large in diameter that it protruded into the slipstream. I know this method works for the shorter-wing RV's but I haven't yet found anyone with a -9/9A who has used it AND stayed within published aileron travel limits. Anyway, just curious.

Last edited:
I have both the delrin stops and the tiny angle stops as the plans call out. Sort of a belt and suspenders approach. They both bottom out at the exact same place, so the 7/8" dimensions are correct for the RV-9 wing.

Here is a photo showing both stops hitting the limit.
IMG_8194-M.jpg

IMG_8195-M.jpg

The wings have been on the fuselage, and all of the preliminary rigging has been done. If ever the delrin should fail, the other stop will be there.

I followed thru on this topic; and got a 4 pack of 3/4" dia. wheels @ LOWES aerospace. (and a 'hit & run' dent in the side of my pickup truck:mad:)
The wheels have roller bearing & threaded axles, so I thru drilled .187 and installed them (plus a washer) in place of the spacer.
28 degrees of up travel is where they stop the aileron. That's about mid way between min and max travel.
This time, I had a magnet on one of those telescoping handles. :D It seems like I drop the washers and nuts at least a dozen times, so that magnet really sped up the process of picking up the bits and trying again.

Washer wrenches are an airplane builders best friend!

Get em from Avery's:

These things are priceless in a few areas like attaching the control surfaces and the control stick weldment/assembly!

...a 4 pack of 3/4" dia. wheels ... The wheels have roller bearing & threaded axles...

That wasn't what I used and referred to earlier. In my situation there were no roller bearings etc.

The package label is
2zq97v6.jpg

You can get them in various lengths - the 1" is
33aayyt.jpg

These are 1/2" diameter not 7/8". I don't have the final measurements handy, but after installing these, the aileron travel fell within the Van's guidelines (RV-7). Price for this pkg was $0.92.

Dan

Cool idea! I mostly keep an eye on the -3/-4 forums, but I obviously need to expand my perusing.

Living in the sticks

This is the point in my build and I would love to get a set of these 7/8" stops from Lowe's but live in "the sticks". Anybody near a Lowe's that can help-a-fella out and I cover the expenses and a beer for your trouble?

Washer wrenches are an airplane builders best friend!

Get em from Avery's:

These things are priceless in a few areas like attaching the control surfaces and the control stick weldment/assembly!

AMEN.. It was HARD to peel out the cash because they are a bit pricey but that event is long gone history. I'll still be clutching them in my clammy dead hands when I pass. They are GREAT. :D

RV 7 aileron stop

Hey all-
I just wanted to add to the info here. I initially bought the 1/2" X .194 X 1/2" nylon spacers from Lowes. I trimmed them down to the proper length & installed them. Presto!!! I had 31 degrees up travel... 1 degree less than max travel for the -7. I just ordered the same spacers but in aluminum from aluminumspacers.com for final assemble down the road. here is the link.

http://www.aluminiumspacers.com/outer-diameter/1-2-od/as50-10-32.html

Slight thread revival.
I was working on putting my wings away before going whole hog at the fuselage when I realized I never completed this one mod.

For those who have done the mod and are now completed and flying, what size OD on the rod did you end up using to get the correct throw for an 8? Also, did you drill the rod to 3/16" for just the bolt or 5/16" for the spacer?

5/8" O.D.

I used a 5/8" O.D. spacer on my RV8, it worked perfectly:

Both ailerons up travel = 30 degrees
Both ailerons down travel = 15.5 degrees

Measured with a Digital level.

Hope this may help someone------

Mike p

Back