What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scratches.. How to deal with them?

Mohammed

Patron
Hi

I have just finished deburring, dimpling and scuffing my VS parts in preparation for priming (spray can). During the build process the parts got scratched by tools or other parts despite me trying to be careful. I could not find a local A/P to look at them so I turned to the experts at VAF for advice.

1) Caused by tools

This one caused by squeezer yoke while dimpling
IMAG1489.jpg

This one is caused by the flueting pliers
IMAG1493.jpg

The one to the left caused by wandering drill. I am not sure about the one to the right.
IMAG1498.jpg

2) Scratches caused by sanding paper

IMAG1499.jpg

IMAG1492.jpg

3) Scratches near or cross holes

This is caused by alignment pin I used to align holes of ribs and skins
IMAG1495.jpg

This one may be caused by the dimple die

IMAG1502.jpg

This one caused by tight fitting the leading edge rib

IMAG1501.jpg

4) Last group I don't know how they happened but they look like a mess

IMAG1490.jpg

IMAG1491.jpg

My question is how should I deal with those scratches?

A) Sand them out and then prime?
B) Ignore then and just prime?
C) If I (hypothetically) not going to prime the parts, do I have to prime these scratches or leave them?

Thank you guys in advance for your help ..

Mohammed

Sorry guys for the size of the images.. I resized them before uploading them.. but it seems that I didn't do enough job

Answered your own question.. :D Option A. Sand / buff out with a maroon scotch brite. Exterior scratches, don't worry about unless they are super deep... The whole plane will be scotchbrited before paint. You might want to get a close quarters dimple too to avoid those squeezer yoke trails ;)

My God, what did you do to that rib? :D

Last edited:
Answered your own question.. :D Option A. Sand / buff out with a maroon scotch brite. Exterior scratches, don't worry about unless they are super deep... The whole plane will be scotchbrited before paint. You might want to get a close quarters dimple too to avoid those squeezer yoke trails ;)

My God, what did you do to that rib? :D

Thank you Daniel I'll sand them with soft paper and then prime them.

My guess is that my wife used that rib as cutting board for meat and vegetables :D

Back