What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 vs -8 Rudder

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Looking back at my project thus far, the only part I would like to have a "re-do" on is my rudder. I'm about to order my fuse & kicking around the idea of ordering new rudder parts & building a new rudder... BUT I personally have a vendetta against & hate that double flush trailing edge construction. :D Does anyone know off hand if the -8 rudder fits a -7 VS?

Yes

The first RV7s and the Last RV6s came with an RV8 Rudder. The fiberglass top of the VS is different on the RV7. Order the RV8 VS fiberglass top and change that too.
I dought if this is a Vans approved Mod. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jay!
I am the builder of of an "experimental" :eek:... Van's has great guidance but doesn't determine airworthyness ;). How different rudder are the -7 / -8 rudder dimentions?

The first RV7s and the Last RV6s came with an RV8 Rudder. The fiberglass top of the VS is different on the RV7. Order the RV8 VS fiberglass top and change that too.
I dought if this is a Vans approved Mod. :rolleyes:

Actually, when Van's made the rudder design switch after builders were already working on there kits, the new rudder was offered to anyone that had already received an emp. kit. It wasn't issued as though it was a requirement that they change, though it was standardized into the emp. kit from then on.

Back