What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upholstering the back seats

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
I am painting the interior of my -10 with Zolatone paint. The entire interior, Aerosport overhead, center console, panels and sheet metal is a mix of two Zolatone colors to give a very wife pleasing finish.

I need to know how people are upholstering their back seats using the Vans catalog foam. Do they look like my -6A, a cushion just on the front of the seat and a seat cushion with velcro to the floor? Or do you completely cover up the aluminum seat and wrap the covering all around the seat? Or what other ways do you do it?

In need to know to in order to paint the seats where required now, rather than later. The Zolatone gives a great finish and is easy to put on with the right equipment, but I would like to get it over with now while I am set up to do it.

My seats were done by Geoff at Aerosport Products. Geoff does a fantastic job on the seats. He charges a bit more than the competition, but I think he also delivers a great value for the price. Give him a call and you'll understand why.

My seats have a sheet of aluminum to make the back smooth, then is covered with carpet to match the carpet in the baggage area. Unfortunately, I don't have a photos online showing the back.

You should be able to see many examples at OSH next week.

I did not paint the seat area.

For the bottoms, I completely covered them and carpeted under them.

For the seat backs, I made covers similar to a pillow case. They are open at the bottom and slide down over the foam AND the aluminum back support. The bottom seat hides the bottom of this pillow case design.

Will you be at OSH? If so, I can show you exactly what I've done.

Zolatone Finish

Since my interior is all Zolatone, I either have to paint the rear seats or use a slipcover type of upholstery. Looks like the slipcover will be it.

Here is a photo of how the interior will look.

2yxnerk.jpg

The Aerosport overhead, some filling at edges and worst of the bumps removed, but the fiberglass mostly as it came from the factory. Easy

5b9phc.jpg

Detail at the window edge.

Won't be going to the Show this year, next in the 10 I hope, or else if it isn't ready, will take the -6A

Last edited:
My interior came from Flightline Interiors. Abby does very nice work using quality materials. She has the rear seat foam from Van's in stock. When she upholsters the rear seat foam, its glued to the material. You just open up the Velcro in the back, slide it over the stock Vans seat back frame you built in the kit, re-Velcro the back and install the seat back using the hinge pin per plans. The bottom seat is just Velcro-ed down to the seat pan.

I am painting the interior of my -10 with Zolatone paint. The entire interior, Aerosport overhead, center console, panels and sheet metal is a mix of two Zolatone colors to give a very wife pleasing finish.

I need to know how people are upholstering their back seats using the Vans catalog foam. Do they look like my -6A, a cushion just on the front of the seat and a seat cushion with velcro to the floor? Or do you completely cover up the aluminum seat and wrap the covering all around the seat? Or what other ways do you do it?

In need to know to in order to paint the seats where required now, rather than later. The Zolatone gives a great finish and is easy to put on with the right equipment, but I would like to get it over with now while I am set up to do it.
Also planning to use zolatone. What type sprayer did you use and how set up? Also curious about your color choice (the wife pleasing part).

Also planning to use zolatone. What type sprayer did you use and how set up? Also curious about your color choice (the wife pleasing part).

The paint was the most frustrating part of the build to date. Not putting it on, but getting information from Zolatone. I called them and was promised a set of paint chips, after five calls with the same person, no chips. We wanted to use a color that is on their web site, 20-12, Slate Gray. I tried several locations, eventually calling the wholesale distributors in several states, none of which had heard of that color. When I finally got to their customer service person, they said it was a valid color, but they had none in stock, didn't sell much of it but would mix up a batch for me in several weeks with a minimum order of many gallons.

We decided that a mix of their colors shown on the Intermix page would be Ok. It was a 1/1 mix of 20-54 Camille white and 20-59 Lillith Black. The local retail distributor ordered a gallon of each along with catalyst. (I did not use the catalyst after a trial, the stuff is tough as nails and it only adds to the chemical and water resistance. Plus you can't pour it back in the can after use.) After trying the 1/1 mix, I went to a 2 black to 1 white and we like the result. I also got a gallon of gray epoxy primer, the required undercoat of the Zolatone. Zolatone primer is apparently not available anymore.

I picked up a Binks model 7 spray gun and pressure pot at a local garage sale for $15. Real antique, but in very good shape The Zolatone web site has instructions on application and they say that a siphon gun will not work because it breaks up the encapsulated paint particles. I got a needle/cap/tip with a .083 dia from EBay as they recommend. This is a very large hole. I have a HobbyAir system and a paint hood, both a very good idea with this material.

The process is 3 steps. First The cabin top and doors were prepared by filling the large dings and edges, like on the Aerosport overhead console with micro and sanding smooth. The overall area was sanded with 80 paper and the lumps and bumps removed, about 4-5 hours work. The window edge was masked with electrical tape to provide a sharp edge. The rest was masked with masking tape. (The windows were put in with Sikaflex, highly recommended.) The aluminum was scuffed. Everything was painted with the epoxy primer. I let it dry overnight even though it stated it could be over coated in 30 minutes. I would hate to have the Zolatone lift the uncured primer!

The cabin top and doors looked like ****, pinholes all over the place and the glass weave showing thru. Does not matter.

The first coat of Zolatone is put on with 10 psi in the pressure pot, fluid open one turn and 65 psi !! at the gun at 8-12 inches. The high pressure and close application causes the paint to spread and produces a very fine splattered appearance. After no wait at all, a second coat is put on with 10 psi in the pot, fluid open two turns and 25 psi at the gun. You hold the gun 24- 36" away from the surface which produces the splattered appearance.

There are some issues with this application method. At the high pressure you have to move very quickly. I used about a 20% overlap. The second coat produces a very wide spray pattern, about 18" and must be put on evenly. Trying to shoot a edge, like 1/2" wide flange is an issue because the overspray gets on the flat portion and causes a weird pattern. I sprayed the edges and then the flats, seemed to cover the weird stuff.

Most paints have overspray, but it is dry before it hits anything and it does not go very far. At 65 psi the overspray can go many feet and this stuff remains sticky. If you do not have something to block the spray, it is now a part of your shop. I set up my stuff about 8" above the floor over a tarp with paper under it and shot down as much as possible. When having to spray horizontally, I used a sheet hanging down from a long 2X4 to block the spray. Don't wear your good pants.

I pulled the masking tape after about 3 hours when it was dry to the touch but still tender. It came away clean and did not pick up the paint. I missed one small tape and got it off the next day without issue.

Came out great. I am now taping and masking the inside of the fuselage for the application of the areas required there. A real pain and I suspect the spraying will not be easy. I am doing all the painting before the cabin top is installed for the final time. It is relatively easy with the great access. The aircraft is completely wired and tested, all the wires that go to the engine are passed thru the firewall. The cabin top goes on, the front windshield and all the other things like it and I can lock the cabin doors and install the gear legs. Has been great working on everything with the top off and the fuselage set where I can stand on the ground and reach everything.

Last edited:
Back