What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West Coast Trip - Thanksgiving in Mexico

Brandi

Well Known Member
Brian is from Tucson, AZ and this year we decided to go have Thanksgiving with his family. So, on Saturday, November 17th, Brian, myself and our 17 yr old sister, Hannah, jumped in the RV-10 and headed west!

Our trip out there included a restroom/stretching break in Danville, AR (32A), a fuel stop in Hinton, OK (2O8) and lunch with my mom in Watonga, OK (KJWG) before reaching Granny's house in Show Low, AZ (KSOW).

KRYY%20-%20MMGM-L.png

Saturday's flight was perfect. We didn't see a single cloud until we hit New Mexico and even then they were pretty high. Didn't really a have strong headwinds to deal with until New Mexico either. We chased the most gorgeous sunset for 2 hours as we flew west from Oklahoma.

We spent a few nights in Show Low, AZ before heading to Tucson, AZ on Monday, November 19th. This is one of my favorite flights because of the terrain.

Upon arriving in Tucson, AZ (KTUS), the tower squeezed us in behind a group of 2 F-16's and in front of a group of 3 F-16's. We sat on one runway waiting for the last 3 to land on another runway before we could taxi to parking.

On Tuesday, November 20th, we left our little sister in Tucson with family and flew to Guaymas, Mexico (MMGM) with our Uncle to be with the rest of the family for Thanksgiving. The trip over the border and down into Mexico was rather uneventful.

The Mexican military and their dog came to visit us as soon as we landed. They tried to get the dog to get into the plane but he wouldn't so they took a photo of him standing by the step and left. We went inside and got our visa's, filled out some paperwork and payed some fees. Our grandparents were there waiting on us when we arrived so we hopped in the car with them and drove a few miles down the road to their home in San Carlos, Mexico.

The next few days were filled with awesome family, wonderful food and gorgeous days on Catch 22 beach.

We had planned to return to the states on Friday, November 23rd but we just couldn't pull ourselves away so stayed another night and headed home early Saturday morning. Leaving Mexico was harder than getting in. They checked all of our luggage by hand, then x-rayed it, then sent us through a metal detector, and charged us more fees. They also brought the dog back out to the plane and kept asking how old we were. ;) Once in the air, we asked ATC if we could fly over San Carlos on the way out of town. They granted our request and we headed up the coast. We found the family on the margarita deck of their home waving bye to us as we flew over head. =D

Back at Tucson International, we taxied to Customs. We were the only ones there and it only took about 10 minutes before we were free to go. They checked our passports and brought what looked like a bomb detecting device to our plane. I was expecting so much more - especially after everything we just went through to get out of Mexico.

After we cleared customs, we taxied to Million Air FBO to pick up our sister and start our journey back home. Just a few feet from the FBO, we spotted a tail of an RV-12 in an open hangar. We tried to go over and say Hi to the builder but the FBO guy came and hauled us back saying something about fines and international airports. I guess you're not allowed to hang out at international airports. :( Anyways, we picked up our sister, flew to Ryan Field (KRYN) for gas and then headed back east to stay with our friend in Georgetown, TX (KGTU) for the night.

MMGM%20-%20KRYY-L.png

Sunday afternoon we loaded back up and flew the entire way home with a 30 knot tailwind and not a cloud in the sky. :D We dropped our sister off in Ellijay, GA (49A) and stopped for fuel in Canton, GA (KCNI) before landing at KRYY around 6:30pm EST.

It was an awesome adventure! Great weather and zero problems. We love our RV-10!!

Here are some stats from our trip:
Fuel burned: 249 gal
Miles flown: 3380 nm
Hours flown: 21.6 hrs

Link to the photo album.

Last edited:
Nice write-up!

Glad to see you're really enjoying the plane. Next time, you'll have to detour to Colorado. :D

Wow!

I am not easy to impress but I am impressed! Very interesting and very tempting great album. Would you mind sharing what kind of fees they charged you on the other side of the frontier and how much? Were you able to do some local flying? Did you buy any fuel there? Did they ask you questions on insurance?

Wow!! You guys really make me jealous. I had a 9 hour DRIVE to Virginia for Thanksgiving with friends.
**** I need a RV

Great trip

Glad you guys had a gread and uneventfull trip. Now that you are back you can tell me all about it.

Gary Specketer

Would you mind sharing what kind of fees they charged you on the other side of the frontier and how much? Were you able to do some local flying? Did you buy any fuel there? Did they ask you questions on insurance?

Hi Vlad,

We were charged $74 USD when we got there, and then $60 more when we went to leave. Its not quite clear what all the fees were as there was a language barrier when dealing with some of the staff. Brandi and I plan to learn a little more Spanish next time we head out there. I believe the fees were for over night parking, visas, and ramp fee.

We didnt do much local flying except on the way out we overflew my Grandparents place. We were a little unsure how local flying was handled and didnt want to mess around with it so we were satisfied getting tower to let us deviate for the quick fly by. Next time we go I hope to fly around a little more.

We didnt buy fuel. I assume it would have been expensive but I'm not sure. They did ask about insurance. I brought a copy of our insurance policy, which explicitly says we're covered in Mexico. You have to have insurance that covers Mexico for sure and I understand we could have bought some temporary coverage for about $100 before we left if our current policy didnt cover it but that was a moot issue for us.

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!

The bomb detecting device was probably the geiger counter they use at customs. Pretty funny. I haven't heard of one instance where they have found anything.

Brian according to my calculations from Brandi's numbers for fuel and hours flown it looks like 11.52 GPH average.

Running mostly LOP?

Best,

Nice

Nice trip write up. Envious of your flying weather from up in the northern latitudes this time of year.

And...I think everyone asks how old you are! I know I did! Good for you for getting so much neat stuff done early in life.

Brian according to my calculations from Brandi's numbers for fuel and hours flown it looks like 11.52 GPH average.

Running mostly LOP?

Best,

Yes, mostly LOP and usually around only 58% power or so. I wanted to make this trip a little more economical so I ran usually around 158-160 kts true air speed. This was typically between 2250-2370 RPM and about the same on the manifold. We were at altitude of 8,500 or 9,500 on most legs and usually saw about 10.5 fuel flow.

Looks Fun

Cool report. I think we need an RV fly-in in Mexico.
How did the kite surfing go? I did it this last year and had a blast, want to try it again.

Last edited:
Great Trip

You really piled the miles on in one day making it all the way back home. I have to agree with Bryan Douglass regarding his weather comment. You had the best of the best weather wise. Salt lake north is always challenging from now until May for flying. You really have small weather windows.

Nice to see you guys really enjoying all the work you put into it.

It sure is a great airplane, I smile every time I fly.

Mexico for us one day....maybe, Bahamas first.:)

Nice write-up!! You have the exact paint scheme of a local -9A around here! Maybe its a new trend? :D

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Well now we know what Vlads next trip is going to be!!
When we you get to to Mexico make sure you get a picture of the Margarita's and fish tacos.

Ok now I am going to have to start hitting the books to get my PPL lol!!!

Juan

+1 Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!

I now have another trip to add to my list (it's getting longer every time I log on to this site).

Juan

As always, enjoyed your trip report. Since we have only been to about 10 states so far, we have too many North of the border to visit. We all can sure cover some ground quick in these RV's. Looking forward to your next report.

Back