What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (for me) Fiberglass Tool

kjowen

Well Known Member
So I'm finished with my empenage even the fiberglass work and while waiting on my wing order to arrive.... sometime during the Biden administration, I hope.... What to do in the workshop? Can't watch Barrett-Jackson until 8:00 p.m. so that leaves the rest of the afternoon....

I had a Opps rudder skin from the build and I thought while I wait on my wing kit, I would order a few parts, put it together, and practice my paint skills... and may make a work of art for the wall in my office at work...

Well, I cut off the counter balance portion of the rib and the top portion of the skin since I wasn't spending any more money on something I would probably hide in the bowels of my workshop after I screwed up my paint job.... Then had to create something for the top inside section of the skin / rib. I put a radius on the flat section of the rib to approximate the bend of the leading edge to make it look cool.

Cut and filled the top with foam. Flox in place, then micro with a few layers of glass to get me to final shape on the leading edge, then more micro, and then some straight resin to fill holes and firm up the surface of the work.

I am really not into a lot of sanding, but for the detail work, it's a must. However, for the general shaping and removal of excess material, I thought, hum, if a die grinder with a scotch wheel is good enough for my alumun edges, then it should be ok for some glass.... It worked pretty well... (wear eye protection and a respirator, it kicks up a lot of dust)

Here are a few shots from today... ran out of hardener, so i still need one last coat of micro, sand, and then the resin.... Just thought I would share....

This project has taught me......Don't fear fiberglass, like almost anything else, it can be fixed, or you can buy more parts.

Easy on me... I'm an old man! LOL!
IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Back