What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to install the middle Rudder bracket

salty

Well Known Member
Finally got our backordered parts and we are feeling like we're ready to get started on the vertical stab. Studying Section 6 and I don't see it telling when to install the middle rudder bracket VS-1011.

There are steps for prepping it, and it tells when to install the top rudder bracket, but it doesn't say anything about riveting on VS-1011.

Seems to me like you'd need to install this before riveting the skin on, and doing it at the same time as the top rudder bracket seems logical. I understand that the bottom bracket doesn't need to be installed yet since it's not covered by the skin.

I'm presuming this is the first occurrence where I have to use my judgement and not expect the instructions to cover every little thing?

Just making sure I'm not missing something subtle before I plow onward.

It's not explicit, but see text on Page 6-4, Step 7 second paragraph and Figure 4.

It's not explicit, but see text on Page 6-4, Step 7 second paragraph and Figure 4.

Interesting. My page 6-4 has neither a step 7 nor a figure 4

Attachments

• 78B5F598-C422-43F7-936A-D11B6BED6AC1.jpg
    78B5F598-C422-43F7-936A-D11B6BED6AC1.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 148
...and I have an older set of plans :( The steps were reordered when they removed the integral rudder stop.

In any case, the attachment of the middle hinge is not explicit -- See step 6, second paragraph and look at Figure 3 near the top.

Step 6 says to reassemble the rear spar and figure 3 shows the hinge at the top of the rivet call outs for that step ghosted on the other side of the spar. In short it goes on now.

When I got there for real it was obvious when to do it. Step 6 says "Assemble the rest of the rear spar assembly". The middle hinge bracket is part of that assembly. Duh.

Back