What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Houston for the first time

Maverick972

Well Known Member
Hello! I have a business meeting on Sat the 30th of Jan and wanted to fly my 7 down if the weather looks good Friday afternoon. The meeting is in Kingwood but I am not concerned about the proximity to the meeting what I am looking for is suggestions as to the easiest in and out with hanger space for the evening.

Thank you very much, Sean

9X1 is the closest to Kingwood. It does not have any instrument procedure, if that's a factor. Small airport, 100LL self serve, at least there was in summer 2020. If you decide to try there, call or email William Harkin (info on website), the manager. Great guy, I'm sure he will do what he can. Google maps says it's closed, but I believe that's wrong (it's closing in June or July). May work to your advantage in terms of hangar space. If you decide to go there beware of the mud - it's like quickkrete. Must stay on taxiway. Oh, and beware the trees on approach to 17.

Cleveland (6R3) is also convenient (just about same drive time as Conroe). If the folks at the main office can't help you, I would call Johnny at Lone Star Aircraft Services. He owns a large mx hangar there and may know someone who can help you out. Bigger, instrument procedure if needed, nicer facility, but still small enough there's no tower.

David Wayne Hooks is also nearby, roughly as far as Conroe. Others will have to chime in on those two.

Good luck!

Last edited:
CXO

I've landed at Conroe several times. Never a problem. Always parked at General Aviation FBO and was happy with the service. John

I used to live in Kingwood and was based at 9X1 many years ago. It is a nice airport but getting a rental car there is almost impossible and getting an Uber/Lyft is difficult at best.

IMHO, Conroe (KCXO) is your best bet.

:cool:

I used to live in Kingwood and was based at 9X1 many years ago. It is a nice airport but getting a rental car there is almost impossible and getting an Uber/Lyft is difficult at best.

IMHO, Conroe (KCXO) is your best bet.
I was thinking the same; North Houston is a decent little airport for locals, but not so much for transients for lack of ground transport. Conroe is a good choice along with Hooks (DWH); both have FBOs with rental cars available. Hooks is also located right on Grand Parkway/99, fairly high speed access to Kingwood.

The closest with the most facilities and access is IAH, and it has 2 FBO's onsite. If you come between United's banks it's not too busy. Even then they could put you on 8L/26R and be out of the main flow of traffic. Never done it myself - just throwing more ideas out.

Back