What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X bug

826CT

I'm New Here
Folks

I have a G3X non touch hooked up to a GTX 23ES and GNS430W. Recently I updated to the latest G3X firmware (v12.1) only to find that TIS B traffic surveillance had failed. This was indicated as an alarm in the 430 message window. Downgrading to v12.0 restored normal operation but at the expense of not realizing the benefit of upgrades to all affected LRUs including the G5

I have not had any written feedback or commitment from Garmin on either acknowledgement of the issue, reproduction, or areas of the ARINC system that were updated in the recent release.

It would be useful to have more than one data point on this in order to motivate a response from Garmin. If anybody has had a similar experience as mine (or not) with the same configuration I would appreciate it if you would let me know and I will bring it to their attention so that a fix can be incorporated in the next update, whenever that is.

Thanks in advance

Tom Gardiner

Lancair 360 (sorry!). RVs are great!

Check for the adsb antenna offset setting. New release stopped allowing this to be blank. If it is, weird things happen.

Is your GTX-23 software up to date? I had some problems with my G3x Touch and GTX transponder, called Garmin and found out my transponder software was a couple of versions behind. Might be worth a check...

HTH -

Dave

G3x bug

Dave,

Yes, it is up to date. Garmin did ask about that. Interesting that you mention it, the reason it was up to date is that the original unit failed outright after a few months in service which they replaced under warranty only after the Garmin authorized dealer got a taste! In any case, another unit came back with the latest and greatest.

Since the 430 complains that it is not receiving any input on the ARINC channel (#2). I am more inclined to think the issue resides in the GAD 29 (ARINC concentrator) since it did get a firmware update (Garmin does not publish the per device release notes btw).

Also as another gentleman pointed out, a simple, new but unrelated, unintended configuration dependency could have crept in.

In any case I will give Garmin a call today to see if I can learn more and get a written response on how/if they plan to do anything with it.

Thanks

Tom

Bingo.. just learned another pilot from another pilot on another board that he has the same issue. Slightly different configuration “ G3X touch, GTX23ES and a new GTN750Xi with software 8.72”

Tom

Just as a data point, I have G3X touch running 8.72, 23ES, GDL50R, and 750Xi, no issues.
The 23ES can only supply the old TIS-A traffic to the 430 (via RS232), not TIS-B.
(I turn off TIS-A traffic in the xpdr setup menu.)
I would assume you have a GDL39 supplying traffic/weather to the G3X.
Having TIS-A traffic on the 430 is a waste of energy anyway.

Last edited:
Folks

I have a G3X non touch hooked up to a GTX 23ES and GNS430W. Recently I updated to the latest G3X firmware (v12.1) only to find that TIS B traffic surveillance had failed. This was indicated as an alarm in the 430 message window. Downgrading to v12.0 restored normal operation but at the expense of not realizing the benefit of upgrades to all affected LRUs including the G5

Hello Tom,

Could you provide a little more information on what you mean by "TIS-B traffic surveillance had failed. This was indicated as an alarm in the 430 message window."?

Neither the G3X system nor the GTX 23ES transponder provide TIS-B traffic to the 430W. Unless you have an ADS-B receiver connected to the 430W that you are not telling us about, you have no TIS-B traffic source connected to the 430W.

You might have TIS-A traffic being supplied to the 430W directly from the GTX 23ES (NOT the GAD 29), but not TIS-B, which only comes from an ADS-B receiver, or a transponder with built-in ADS-B capability.

Steve

Last edited:
TIS-B Traffic Message

Folks

I have not had any written feedback or commitment from Garmin on either acknowledgement of the issue, reproduction, or areas of the ARINC system that were updated in the recent release.

It would be useful to have more than one data point on this in order to motivate a response from Garmin. If anybody has had a similar experience as mine (or not) with the same configuration I would appreciate it if you would let me know and I will bring it to their attention so that a fix can be incorporated in the next update, whenever that is.

Thanks in advance

Tom Gardiner

Lancair 360 (sorry!). RVs are great!

Tom,

We apologize that you have not heard anything back, did you send your email to [email protected]?

As mentioned above, none of the equipment mentioned so far is capable of providing TIS-B traffic information. Can you review the message on the GNS just to double check the fault it is reporting? We will take a look at this interface in the meantime.

Thanks,

Justin

Back