What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV-GPS-2020

R7237

Well Known Member
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I am planning serial ports for my AFS5500 and having difficulty figuring out what I can install and not. If I use the SV-GPS-2020 and a SV-ARINC, neither of these will use a serial port correct? They will use the SV network for connectivity? And if I need a serial output from the GPS for a transponder (TQ) to be ADSB out compliant, will this require a serial port from the EFIS or can it just be used stand alone? Sorry if a dumb question.

The SkyView ARINC module connects via the Dynon network not through a RS232 serial port. The GPS-2020 does use a serial port, normally on port #5.

:cool:

If you are using the SkyView XPDR, it gets it’s ADS-B out position data via a serial connection to the SkyView display. See page 11-6 of the SkyView install manual.

If you are using some other XPDR and want to use the SkyView GPS 2020 as the certificate source, you will need to figure out the serial connection.

Carl

Serial Ports

Asking the same question on AFS forums.
Plane is an RV-12iS being built as an EAB due to the ULPower 350iS engine.
The EFIS I have is a AF-5500 EE RV that is bb:7 with keys for AOA, SVN and VPX
The Transponder I have TT22 P/N 00745-00-03 that is part of a 5600 screen system I am using on another project.
My understanding is I have 4 Serial Ports I can use. Currently don't have a GPS source and would like ADS-B out as well as IFR capable for training purposes only that I was hoping to implement using the NAV radio. From what I understand, the SV-GPS-2020 will require a serial port. ADAHRS is "RedBox". Engine Monitoring is on the system. So, the only way I can get it all to work with the single screen is
Port 1) VPX
2) Trutrak AP
3) SL-30 (daisy chained VAL NAV 2KR and COM 2KR)
4) GPS 175 and Transponder (NMEA/ICARUS)
Without an extra serial port, I think I need the GPS-175 as my GPS Source if I want the transponder connected to the EFIS that way I can share the serial port with the transponder.
Need to use the SV-AIRINC.
Other options would be to gain a serial port by going with SV-ADAHRS.
This may be a bit of "thinking out loud", but trying to get my head around it. Thank you for any advice you can give as well as the above posts directing me in the right direction.

Based on the AFS manual v15.1
71410 SV-ARINC 429 ADAPTOR
The SV-ARINC adaptor lets an AF-5000 EFIS connect to a GPS Navigator (Avidyne IFD540, Garmin GTN-650/750) using the Advanced-SV network. This eliminates the need to use an EFIS serial port for GPS navigator communication.
This would allow me to set :
GPS NAV DATA SOURCE as SV-ARINC

Last edited:
I’d use the Dynon ADHRS, two if you plan on real IFR. Both are connected via the network, no serial.

So the EFIS serial connections become:
- GPS 2020
- XPDR

This leaves two EFIS serials if you want to connect the Dynon ADS-B receiver to see ADS-B in data on the EFIS.

The SL-30 serial connects to the ARINC, not the EFIS. I would not bother connecting your other NAV receivers. The SL-30 is the premier NAV - both primary and standard VORs tuned into the SL-30 should be displayed (assuming things have not changed and your EFIS works like the SkyView). This provides cross bearings with just the SL-30. This feature is not available on the other Garmin NAV receivers - they only display the primary (GTN-650, etc.).

I’d use a serial output from the GPS-175 to feed your ELT position data. You should have four our so serial connections on the 175, only one is used for the AIRINC.

Carl

Last edited:
This is the correct answer simplified.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I am planning serial ports for my AFS5500 and having difficulty figuring out what I can install and not. If I use the SV-GPS-2020 and a SV-ARINC, neither of these will use a serial port correct? They will use the SV network for connectivity? And if I need a serial output from the GPS for a transponder (TQ) to be ADSB out compliant, will this require a serial port from the EFIS or can it just be used stand alone? Sorry if a dumb question.

You have two type of serial data on the SkyView System. First you have the standard RS-232, and second, the SkyView Network Serial Bus. The SkyView Network Serial Bus is like a USB network. You hook up a 9 wire cable between all the units. Some plug into a SkyView Hub, like what Dynon/AFS sells, or they can be daisy chained together like the Screens, Comm Panel, Knob Panel and AP Panel as these units have two 9 pin D-Sub connectors on them. The other units that connect to the SkyView Network Serial Bus are, the Screens, the ADHARS, the EMS, the ARINC 429 modules. The Autopilot servos also tap off these data wires, the Green, Blue, White/Green, and White/Blue wires, for the data function. You will either buy a bunch of 9 wire patch cables, or you can make them. They are simple to make. The cheapest way is what I do, I buy a 30’ cable and cut it to the lengths I need and install a female 9 pin D Sub connector on each end. Start with the longest ones first. Normally the run to the autopilot servos. Everything is connected to everything one way or another.

The first serial data described is the old RS-232 data. You will only use the TX and RX lines. The basic systems you will use this for is first, the GPS module. You will also connect the Transponder, ADSB Receiver, and things like a SL-30/40, GTR200, etc type of COMM/NAV radio, or something like the Val Nav2000 so you can display VOR/LOC/GS data on your HSI or COMM frequencies on your display. It is described in the install manual as Serial Port 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I mostly deal with the Dynon SkyView system, and we use theses outputs to other things like a HUD, and AOA aural warning system, and position source for a APRS transmitter, or to your 406 ELT.

As I said before, the ARINC module connects to the SkyView Network Serial Bus, not a serial port. You will then connect the output of your IFR GPS receiver, whatever you buy, to the large D-Sub connector on the ARINC module.

Don’t forget to program the serial ports to you correct type of unit that is connected to each serial port, and you will need to program the ARINC settings also. That is all in the install manual.

Good luck, and don’t sweat it, as it is not that hard once you get started.

Brian

Last edited:
Back