What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA Plumbing Leak Test

richpezz

After several minor adjustments to the AOA Aluminum Connector Tube that connects the plumbing in the wing to the fuselage, I am unable to achieve a good test. I am loosing approximately 10kts of airspeed in 20 seconds versus the 1 minute guideline.

Does anyone have a method of adjusting the connector tube to achieve a leak free system? The good news is the syringe at the AOA rivet / port is now sealed. The air must be leaking from this connector tube / assembly.

Thanks

Rich

If you’re convicted your test connection is secure, you should be able to access the AOA rivet/tube connection through the stall warning/AOA access opening. And make sure there’s no leak between the syringe tube and plunger. Ask me why I bring up this suggestion?

Hi Rich,
If your AOA connector tube is installed Per instructions using the template and gauges, there’s not much more you can do there. Having chased leaks in every pneumatic and fluid system on my bird, I feel that I can speak with at least some authority when I say “Never assume any connection is good”. Double check the tube to rivet connection as already mentioned. Another one that I found was a tube not completely inserted into a connector at the ADHRS Module. Drove myself crazy looking for other possibilities because I was so certain that those connections were solid! Also, I found a minuscule hole in my own test rig! Take a deep breath, go methodically thru your system. You’ll find it.
All the best,
Dave

Why does Van’s specify using a 35 cc syringe?

Step 35 calls for using a 35 cc syringe that the plunger has been pushed to 7.5 cc to inject the air into the AOA port.

Why can’t a 10 cc syringe be used? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN

Others might, but I can’t think of a reason why not. If anything, it might even be easier to push in more smoothly than a larger syringe. It is important to remember to “preset” the syringe to the correct volume BEFORE connecting it up though. Otherwise you risk damage to the ADHRS.

Step 35 calls for using a 35 cc syringe that the plunger has been pushed to 7.5 cc to inject the air into the AOA port.

Why can’t a 10 cc syringe be used? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Brett
Columbus, IN

Volume injected over time units? Sounds like they want it to be a blast, not delayed?

Niner,
Read page 6 of Vans Notification for the AOA Mod. It will help you better understand the OP question.

Back