What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2016 Oshkosh Social

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor

2016 Oshkosh RV Social

Monday July 25th

1366 WEST WAUKAU AVENUE

Starts When The Airshow Ends

Ends When The Kegs Run Dry (or about 10PM)

The old girl crawled up out of the basement and ordered the kegs, so yes, it's on! Come join the Beer Fairy at OSH, on Monday after the airshow, for one night of libation, tall tales, and outright lies.

The nice folks at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co (formerly Nationsair, but still Jenny, Shanna, Jennifer, and the rest of the gang) are again providing the terrific backyard location, just outside the Waukau EAA gate. Please look for the Gallagher staffers and thank them in some appropriate way. They'll be at 1366 Waukau all week with cool drinks and shade for weary aviators.

Here's the map. Easy walk from anywhere. It is near the bus center, and parking if you have a car. No parking at the house...don't even think about it (sorry!).

The Beer Fairy heard there was some kind of a Big RV-6 Celebration. She told me to order extra beer, even though everybody knows an RV-6 gathering is like attending a birthday party for your great aunt. No matter. We ran out a little early last year, so there will be additional barrels:

New Glarus Spotted Cow (what would Oshkosh be without Spotted Cow?)
Bell's Two-Hearted Ale (for the hoppy IPA drinkers, one 1/2 barrel only)
Lakefront Fixed Gear (yep, that's the name, a red ale with a 6% kick)

Nothing flies without money...no bucks, no Buck Rogers. Your sponsors have kicked in about 1.5 Aviation Monetary Units, so please thank them at your earliest opportunity:

Barrett Precision Engines, Continental Motors, Delta Pop, EXP Aircraft Services, JD Air, Kitplanes Magazine, Perry Hill Automobile Company, SteinAir, TruTrak, and TS Flightlines

The Social operates on the KIS principle. The Beer Fairy ain't Martha Stewart; we're not getting into food service, or creating setup/clean up issues. You want soft drinks? Find a Soft Drink Fairy on your way to the Social. Hungry folks should grab a sandwich. The Sacred Heart brat stand is across the street, and last year the house next door was selling food.

Serious note..this is an RV owner/builder function. Anyone caught inviting bystanders for free beer will be spotlighted, stripped naked, smeared with proseal, and rolled in tall grass. There's no cop at the door....but we can't do an event like this at OSH and issue a general invitation to all. Likewise for those with bad manners. Overall, the Social Rules are the same as VAF Rules, but with beer: RV only please, and keep it nice.

Be sure to name tag yourself when you arrive. Dancing on the picnic table is approved. If a cop car shows up, don't worry, it's just Ron ;)

Last edited:
Can't wait, Dan! Hoping to be there for the celebration this year and to fly my 9A in for its first time to OSH.

If I make it to Oshkosh, i will be there! I'm late in making my arrangements but I do plan to be there!

She told me to order extra beer, even though everybody knows an RV-6 gathering is like attending a birthday party for your great aunt. No matter.
My 6 can carry a lot more beer than your 8.

drops mic...

Oh, and thanks for putting this together again. Looking forward to it.

Proseal

"...Anyone caught inviting bystanders for free beer will be spotlighted, stripped naked, smeared with proseal, and rolled in tall grass. ..."
Ouch! May I bring my left over Proseal!:D

Seriously, count me in with my Sweetie.

I really enjoyed last year and look forward to seeing everyone again. This year, Ginger will also attend (her first Oshkosh!).

JD Air

JD Air is again IN as a proud sponsor of this EPIC event. This is fast becoming the place to be on Monday night. Now, upon seeing who the opening concert is, I'm sure we'll have even greater attendance.

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Mark down another one who's in. Really was hoping to have my bird done, but alas... work... :/ Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

In! Thanks Dan!

I do, however, beg to differ with you on your assessment of RV-6 parties. Even have proof! ;)

Slide1%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Cartoon credit, Gary Larson...slightly modified (of course...it's what we do!).

See ya in July!

Cheers,
Bob

Band?

Glad you started this after the Beach Boys. That would have been a tough call. Beach Boys or beer.
Never herd of the band playing this year? Does that make me old? Or are they new?
Anyway see you at the beer social!

Thanks !

PS! This will be Carols 11th Oshkosh! When I met her she did not know about airplanes. She did not know we have fly-ins. Now she is a pilot, and knows most common airplane types.

Last edited:
Never herd of the band playing this year?

We don't no stinking concert.

As of this AM, we're all in on sponsors. Please thank the following when you see them, and a bit of business never hurts too.

In alpha order:

Barrett Precision Engines - Rhonda and Allen - engines

Continental Motors - Neal George - engines and mags

Delta Pop - Don Pansier - excellent antennas

EXP Aircraft Services - Walt Aronow - much more than a good mechanic

JD Air - Darwin and Jason - great tailwheels

Kitplanes Magazine - Paul Dye - covering all things EAB

Perry Hill Automobile Company - (me) - cars and trucks

SteinAir - Stein and the gang - everything for your panel

TruTrak - Andrew, Lucas, and the gang - autopilots

TS Flightlines - Tom Swearengen - fluid lines of all kinds

You want soft drinks? Find a Soft Drink Fairy on your way to the Social.

There are sponsors paying for the drinks but they only buy Beer?

Sounds as discriminatory as tail wheel pilots vs trigear pilots.......:(

I fly tri gear and tail draggers...... but I don't drink beer....

I'm in. Can't pass up an opportunity to hang out with the most fun group of people in aviation!

My 6 can carry a lot more beer than your 8.

drops mic...

Oh, and thanks for putting this together again. Looking forward to it.

While not RV related, this has to do with flying and beer so it is relevant (somewhat :D) Found this over at a military aviators forum a while back and had to share...

OK, here's one. Our [OV-10] Detachment (at Chu Lai) had an Australian pilot on exchange, and he discovered that he could get an allocation of Aussie beer from the RAAF Supply Detachment (Det) at DaNang because he was essentially a one-man RAAF Det if you were liberal with the rules (which the Aussies were when it came to drinking beer). We took an OV up to DaNang for phase and picked up one coming out, then taxiied over to the RAAF ramp on the other side of the field. We checked in and they promptly pulled out an entire pallet (72 cases) of beer! It seems that was the smallest unit of issue for a monthly allotment to a forward detachment of the RAAF. Being a gung ho Lt, and not too up on the differences between weight and cubes, we just started stuffing cases into the aircraft. We got the rear cargo bay loaded with about 60 cases of beer, and then discovered that a beer can was about 2.70 inches in diameter, thus fit nicely down the tubes of the 2.75" rocket launchers (we had 4 new 7-tube LAU-79 pods on the aircraft, each capable of carrying 49 cans of beer (two cases). Eventually, we got about 68 cases of beer in the airplane and pressed on for Chu Lai.

The first hint of trouble was on takeoff roll when I told my companion (in the back seat) to get off the brakes as we started rolling. He wasn't on the brakes, he said. We continued to accelerate slowly, but weren't too concerned because DaNang had 11,000 feet of runway. Somewhere around 8,000', and 20 KTS below rotation speed, we started to get worried. It was getting really close to the end of the runway and at the end of the overrun was a minefield! As we passed the end of the runway we jerked it off the ground and barely wiggled out over DaNang Harbor, airborne...thanks only to the benefits of ground effect... about 5-10 feet off the water. We were accelerating very slowly (like a knot a minute!!) but still not even at a real flying speed. After about two miles, we suddenly realized we couldn't bank (thus turn) without stalling, and there was a big Navy hospital ship about two miles away, directly on our nose. We had no choice (other than ejecting) so we pressed on and hoped for the best. We gained about three more knots before we got to the ship and I was able to change the heading slightly with the rudder and we passed about 50' behind the ship, but still well below the main deck. We bravely waved at people on the ship like we were having fun. We pressed on out over the South China Sea about 20 miles before we had enough airspeed to slowly make a wide right turn around Monkey Mountain (an island off the coast) and headed south. We made it to Chu Lai (about 40 miles south) but never made it above 50'. We had to land opposite direction at Chu Lai because we were afraid we couldn't clear the radio towers off the approach end of the duty runway.

The word eventually got back to my boss via chatter among the maintenance crews who helped us unload the beer. He chewed me out good, then slyly demanded 10 cases of beer or he'd report me to the Squadron at DaNang. He got his beer. I later figured that we were about 2000 lbs over max gross weight, and given that it was a day with light wind and about 98 degrees, its a miracle we survived. On the other hand, I figured if I jettisoned the four brand new LAU-79s (which were in tight supply) and centerline fuel tank to survive, the jig was up at DaNang and we'd probably be court marshalled anyway, so we decided to either save the beer or die...the AF would have crucified me anyway! The beer was good!! We did, however, haul smaller loads from then on.

War is ****!
From: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15492-facing-in-the-bronco/

Will the Ridley V-Twin be there this year???
DSCN4312.JPG

I Know Ron will be there. I'm assuming he'll have the Ridley along again, along with another surprise! (If he quits fooling around flying out for breakfast and keeps his nose to the grindsone.) :D:D:D

While not RV related, this has to do with flying and beer so it is relevant (somewhat :D) Found this over at a military aviators forum a while back and had to share...

OK, here's one. Our [OV-10] Detachment (at Chu Lai) had an Australian pilot on exchange, and he discovered that he could get an allocation of Aussie beer from the RAAF Supply Detachment (Det) at DaNang because he was essentially a one-man RAAF Det if you were liberal with the rules (which the Aussies were when it came to drinking beer). We took an OV up to DaNang for phase and picked up one coming out, then taxiied over to the RAAF ramp on the other side of the field. We checked in and they promptly pulled out an entire pallet (72 cases) of beer! It seems that was the smallest unit of issue for a monthly allotment to a forward detachment of the RAAF. Being a gung ho Lt, and not too up on the differences between weight and cubes, we just started stuffing cases into the aircraft. We got the rear cargo bay loaded with about 60 cases of beer, and then discovered that a beer can was about 2.70 inches in diameter, thus fit nicely down the tubes of the 2.75" rocket launchers (we had 4 new 7-tube LAU-79 pods on the aircraft, each capable of carrying 49 cans of beer (two cases). Eventually, we got about 68 cases of beer in the airplane and pressed on for Chu Lai.

The first hint of trouble was on takeoff roll when I told my companion (in the back seat) to get off the brakes as we started rolling. He wasn't on the brakes, he said. We continued to accelerate slowly, but weren't too concerned because DaNang had 11,000 feet of runway. Somewhere around 8,000', and 20 KTS below rotation speed, we started to get worried. It was getting really close to the end of the runway and at the end of the overrun was a minefield! As we passed the end of the runway we jerked it off the ground and barely wiggled out over DaNang Harbor, airborne...thanks only to the benefits of ground effect... about 5-10 feet off the water. We were accelerating very slowly (like a knot a minute!!) but still not even at a real flying speed. After about two miles, we suddenly realized we couldn't bank (thus turn) without stalling, and there was a big Navy hospital ship about two miles away, directly on our nose. We had no choice (other than ejecting) so we pressed on and hoped for the best. We gained about three more knots before we got to the ship and I was able to change the heading slightly with the rudder and we passed about 50' behind the ship, but still well below the main deck. We bravely waved at people on the ship like we were having fun. We pressed on out over the South China Sea about 20 miles before we had enough airspeed to slowly make a wide right turn around Monkey Mountain (an island off the coast) and headed south. We made it to Chu Lai (about 40 miles south) but never made it above 50'. We had to land opposite direction at Chu Lai because we were afraid we couldn't clear the radio towers off the approach end of the duty runway.

The word eventually got back to my boss via chatter among the maintenance crews who helped us unload the beer. He chewed me out good, then slyly demanded 10 cases of beer or he'd report me to the Squadron at DaNang. He got his beer. I later figured that we were about 2000 lbs over max gross weight, and given that it was a day with light wind and about 98 degrees, its a miracle we survived. On the other hand, I figured if I jettisoned the four brand new LAU-79s (which were in tight supply) and centerline fuel tank to survive, the jig was up at DaNang and we'd probably be court marshalled anyway, so we decided to either save the beer or die...the AF would have crucified me anyway! The beer was good!! We did, however, haul smaller loads from then on.

War is ****!
From: http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15492-facing-in-the-bronco/

Clear evidence that beer makes us all do crazy things. I'll be there solo (unfortunately) again this year. Talk is that my family will be attending next year, so I'll have to get my drinking in for both 2016 and 17... ;)

Thank you Sponsors + Beer Fairy's

Karen and I plan to attend. This will be our first.

Many thanks to the sponsors and Dan H.

90% sure we're coming this year for our 2nd Oshkosh. The wife(linda) and I will swing by. Hope you don't mind us non beer drinkers. That's just more for you guys!!!

Count me in. I only hope the beer holds out a bit longer... and we don't outgrow the gracious venue. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

We'll be there!

4th Oshkosh, 3rd RV Social... Sarah and I are looking forward to it!!

(We may disappear for a bit to go check out that band no one's heard of though) :)

Let us know if there's anything we can help with too, we'll be in town by either Fri night or Sat morning.

-Mike

This year could be my first Oshkosh since 1979 at age 8... When my parents flew the Cessna 190 down with me in the back and I watched the airshows sitting on the top of the wing.

Unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to bring my -6 down this year as i'm going to be there for work, and can't take the chance on getting stuck in weather on the way down. Assuming all goes as planned, I will try to get to the social. It would be great to meet some more of the people I keep seeing online here.

Glad you started this after the Beach Boys. That would have been a tough call. Beach Boys or beer.
Never herd of the band playing this year? Does that make me old? Or are they new?
Anyway see you at the beer social!

Thanks !

IIRC they've been around since the mid to early 90's so yeah I guess you're old. :p We stopped by after Dierks Bentley last year and it was basically over :( -- so we had to keep on stepping down to SOS Bros :D. We plan to be there this year though - I like 3rd Eye Blind, but would rather drink beer and hang with the RV crowd this time. :);):)

Count Us In!

Thanks for setting this up, Dan!

Count my wife and me in for maybe two beers.

See you there!

Linda and I are flying in this year (4.5 hours flying versus 16+ hours of driving....). Count us in for for the beer n' stuff :)

Back