What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

slider block drilling - C-677 jig idea

scrockard

Here is an interesting jig idea that I created. This jig worked like a charm and it didn't take too long to create.

I was pretty sure that my hand drilling wouldn't work for drilling those white anchor blocks on the slider. I needed 23 degrees on one axis and 5 degrees on a different axis. With this jig, I was able to do a straight down drill into the UHMW plastic.

singlejig.jpg

This was 3-D printed in PLA plastic. The flat base ends were used to clamp to the drill press before drilling. I just hand held the UHMW plastic into the snug fit of the jig while drilling. I used TurboCad for the jig design.

bothjigs.jpg

Note: the left and rights sides have different angles and therefore require a different jig.

Last edited:
Nice tool!

Hi,
That is an awesome tool to make a tough angle!

Let me know if you'd be willing to loan. I'd pay shipping!

Thanks!

Hi,
That is an awesome tool to make a tough angle!

Let me know if you'd be willing to loan. I'd pay shipping!

Thanks!
That jig is already loaned out to a fellow builder!

I'll see if I can print up a couple more. Send me a private email through this forum and I'll get your address. It might be a couple of days before I can print another one...

Here is an interesting jig idea that I created. This jig worked like a charm and it didn't take too long to create.

I was pretty sure that my hand drilling wouldn't work for drilling those white anchor blocks on the slider. I needed 23 degrees on one axis and 5 degrees on a different axis. With this jig, I was able to do a straight down drill into the UHMW plastic.

singlejig.jpg

This was 3-D printed in PLA plastic. The flat base ends were used to clamp to the drill press before drilling. I just hand held the UHMW plastic into the snug fit of the jig while drilling. I used TurboCad for the jig design.

bothjigs.jpg

Note: the left and rights sides have different angles and therefore require a different jig.

This is a great idea to drill the C-677 UHMW sliding canopy rear anchor block. Can you provide a link to the 3D print file (STL/OBJ/AMF/3MF/PRUSA)?

Thanks!

sure - here is a link to my website where I zipped up this old design (2016 vintage).

The original turbocad source is in there along with stl files and even gcode (which is specific to a MakerGear M2).

What I learned:
I used these jigs and yet I found my canopy to be tight to the point where I've had to push up on the rear of the canopy to release it after unlocking the latch in front. If you find this to be the case, address it! Not all canopies have the same geometry and it doesn't take much to make a big difference in behavior. Try to look at the rub spots as it engages and see where things line up and then address them systematically. You could find one side fitting better than the other...
Putting a chamfer on the outside rim of the hole (per directions), lubricating the rail pin, even a slightly oversized hole if all else fails.... OR get a new block and drill a new one...

Good luck.
Scott

Back