- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:28 AM

Default IMC

Anyone add a heated pitot and build eab to fly in imc? Donít get me wrong. There is no way I would take the 12is into hard imc conditions. Iím talking about the occasional pop up ifr for low cloud layers we get in the willamette valley that stick around well past the taf. I get it that the slsa is a good option for schools for training. But a plane for personal use that I spend all the money to get ifrÖ..itís like buying a tux and never going to the dance.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:47 AM

I did it on a classic RV12 ELSA. It was a lot of work because of the power budget. Iím not sure if the 912is has the amps to handle the heated pitot. In the long run, a 9A may better fit your mission.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrhsch View Post
I did it on a classic RV12 ELSA. It was a lot of work because of the power budget. Iím not sure if the 912is has the amps to handle the heated pitot. In the long run, a 9A may better fit your mission.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Just really liked the idea of the ease of the 12is build with blind rivets instead of bucking rivets for several years.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmdpilot View Post
Just really liked the idea of the ease of the 12is build with blind rivets instead of bucking rivets for several years.
I hear that... I switched to the -12 after completing ~60% of a -10 empennage and I don't think I could ever go back to bucking endless rivets. Maybe pulled CS rivets for the skins - dimpling can be therapeutic, but bucking an entire plane, no thanks. To each their own.
RV-12iS Empennage, Fuse, Finish, & Avionics Kits #121228
N781PT Reserved
Old 06-09-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
I hear that... I switched to the -12 after completing ~60% of a -10 empennage and I don't think I could ever go back to bucking endless rivets. Maybe pulled CS rivets for the skins - dimpling can be therapeutic, but bucking an entire plane, no thanks. To each their own.
I love the bucking process.. I actually prefer to buck over the pneumatic river squeezer. Pulled rivets? Yuck!

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmdpilot View Post
Anyone add a heated pitot and build eab to fly in imc? Don’t get me wrong. There is no way I would take the 12is into hard imc conditions. I’m talking about the occasional pop up ifr for low cloud layers we get in the willamette valley that stick around well past the taf. I get it that the slsa is a good option for schools for training. But a plane for personal use that I spend all the money to get ifr…..it’s like buying a tux and never going to the dance.
While you are legal to file IFR in a LSA, you aren’t allowed to encounter IMC conditions. This is the case for S-LSA at least, I’m pretty sure it applied to E-LSA. I’ll look for where I found it and post it if I can.

Edit: While I found articles addressing S-LSA and the prohibition on IMC conditions, I can’t find anything that supports or discredits the above statement regarding E-LSA.

Wings Started.. 11-2020

Last edited by Taltruda : 06-09-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:20 AM

Default EAA Webinar

There was a recent EAA webinar covering this specific topic (EAA membership required):

https://www2.eaa.org/Videos/Light-Sport-Aircraft
Looks like an airplane!
Molalla, OR
Old 06-09-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
Edit: While I found articles addressing S-LSA and the prohibition on IMC conditions, I canít find anything that supports or discredits the above statement regarding E-LSA.
Unless the Op Lims specifically call out IMC prohibited, it's not. And E-LSA Op Lims are not supposed to have that clause in them.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2017...ifr-in-an-lsa/
Old 06-09-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERushing View Post
There was a recent EAA webinar covering this specific topic (EAA membership required):

https://www2.eaa.org/Videos/Light-Sport-Aircraft
I concur with this webinar being an excellent explanation between operating IFR in IMC vs IFR in VMC as it applies to SLSA and ELSA aircraft. Bottom line was the ASTM standard for LSA prohibits IMC operation, which applies to the ELSA operating limits defined in the RV-12 POH. The POH specifically states operation in IFR/IMC is prohibited. Apparently the lack of a specific prohibition on IFR/VMC means you can fly/file IFR (if so equipped) as long as you remain in VMC.

If you build EAB, you can have OpLimits/fly IFR/IMC if 91.205(d) is complied with, which is what I did. Answering the OP, I installed a heated pitot tube in the wing with quick disconnect fittings to retain the removable wing capability. The Dynon Skyview AP can fly a coupled approach with my IFD-540, the only part missing is an auto-throttle to control speed. I do not fly in IMC, however it is nice to have the capability if I ever get in a VMC to IMC situation.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS
Old 06-09-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLucas View Post
Torn between the 12, 9a and the Rans S21. The s21 might be a decent in-between. A little faster than the 12is and can use ifr. But about the same price as the 9a. The 9a is faster but canít carry as much. The huge benefit is that the s21 would be a lot easier to build than the 9a but I think the 9a would be a more solid aircraft. Tough choices. Maybe the RV15 will be fast cruiser with true ifr and easy to build at a more affordable price than the 14?