-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:05 PM

Iím considering in the ear solution. My son thinks this might work because it doesnít use the noise canceling electronics. He flys long on his job.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:24 PM

Some of the things I did in the following order.
1. Checked all grounding that could be found.
2. Run a separate ground buss for all the systems back to the battery.
3. Run a new audio wiring and new jacks at the panel and no longer back on the seat.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:16 PM

Just a long shot, but if you havenít yet, maybe disconnect and reconnecting the radio from its connector to see if there might be a high-impedance contact in the connector? The wiping action of disconnecting and reconnecting may clear any oxidation.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:35 PM

Do you happen to have another headset plugged in and if so put your intercom in the isolate mode and see if the noise goes away. If it does it is probably the second sets mic picking up the cabin noise.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:03 PM

Had similar issues. Turns out it was right after I switched to Lithium batteries in my A20's. Switched back to normal batteries and the interference/noise stopped.
RV12is Owner - N920EN - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)
Old 05-29-2021, 07:54 AM

Default CQ1 Headset in the ear

Well, for long hauls they are very comfortable. And I am not sure there is real hard data on the noise level but the CQ1 sure is nice, like I said once you take the time to put the ear pieces in. I replace the tips quite often just because it so easy to do and very inexpensive. Much cheaper than batteries these days
I would sure get one and try it! But please don't just try it once... at least a couple of times as like anything, change is hard but I do believe once you fly with it you will be like WOW this is so comfortable. I hope you get your noise problem fixed as that is such a pain and takes so much away from the flying! And new/intermittent stuff drives you crazy! Good Luck!
Old 05-29-2021, 08:31 AM

Have you tried powering the noise cancelling headsets with an independent
battery that is not connected to the aircraft electrical system?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Y View Post
Just a long shot, but if you havenít yet, maybe disconnect and reconnecting the radio from its connector to see if there might be a high-impedance contact in the connector? The wiping action of disconnecting and reconnecting may clear any oxidation.
Iíve swapped my radio with other aircraft radios. My radio works good in other peoples airplanes and their radios works bad in my airplane.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post
Some of the things I did in the following order.
1. Checked all grounding that could be found.
2. Run a separate ground buss for all the systems back to the battery.
3. Run a new audio wiring and new jacks at the panel and no longer back on the seat.
These are good things to check. A few more to consider.
  1. Is the ANR headset set to stereo mode? Most ANR headsets come from the factory set to mono mode. A stereo headset set to mono mode and plugged into a stereo headset jack will often sound pretty bad, especially when transmitting.

Not sure what headset you have, but I have all the DIP switches in the OFF position on my Zulu ANR headset, and it works perfectly with GTR 200, GMA 240, and GMA 245.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZuluSettings.png
Views:	14
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	12049
  2. Are the new panel mounted headphone jacks you mention installed with insulating shoulder washers?
  3. When you unplug the copilot headset does the problem go away? Leave the copilot headset unplugged for the remaining tests.
  4. When you change the intercom volume on GTR 200, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  5. When you change the radio volume on the GTR 200, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  6. When you turn the AUX1/AUX2 audio input volumes (alert audio) all the way down to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  7. When you turn the music input volume all the way down to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  8. The Mic Gain is probably set to the default of 5. When you change it to 0, does the noise you are hearing change in volume?
  9. Have you tried turning down the Mic Gain on your headset to see if that changes the volume of the noise you are hearing?
  10. When you turn off the GTR 200, does the noise go away?
  11. When your turn off the ANR feature of your headset, does the noise go away?
  12. When you unplug the pilot mic plug, does the noise go away?
  13. When you unplug the pilot headphone plug, does the noise go away.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-29-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Head Set Background Noise

I switched to a Garmin GTR200 from an SL40 in my RV-4 and am having similar issues. It seems when I got rid of my stand alone intercom and switched to the Garminís internal one that it doesnít want to play nice with my other com or ENC headsets. I have and old set of Sennheiser ENC headsets with the noise canceling ability seemingly being diminished with this set up. Iíve tried the A-20ís and there the worst acting like they accentuate the background noise instead of canceling it to the point that the background noise overrides the communications. Iíve tried other ENC headsets without any better results and yet passive noise canceling headsets work just fine. Iím considering rewiring the panel and going back to an external intercom just to prove Iím not crazy !