What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Incredible Journey

Flyrod

Well Known Member
I am finally getting close to finishing the travel film from a trip out West in 2010. Obviously I only worked on it little bits at a time scattered over hundreds of days. Below is a link to the trailer. The film will follow in chapters in this same Vimeo channel. Although I am still editing the last of it, there is plenty ready for release. I will send you a link with each release, feel free to share it.

This trip was one of the coolest things I have done lately, so I decided to make a film about it since photography/ video is another one of my passions.

Hope you like it.

RL

http://vimeo.com/channels/249046#30238178

High Octane Motivation

Excellent! Please post a BIG notice when you release the full feature. It'll keep me riveting...

Rob

MAN.........

That was RIVETING!!

Sorry. That was probably corny. I really enjoyed the videos. Great job and loved the music selections. I will be forwarding this to friends and family. Thanks for the entertainment.

Chapter 3

Hey guys, thanks for the great comments, it makes all the sitting in front of this computer feel worth while. In Chapter three we fly to Johnson Creek and enjoy a great meal with Backcountry pilots.org at their yearly fly in. A great group of pilots who take mountain flying to another level. We have interesting stories with Steve Henry of Dead stick take off fame and visit the local town of Yellow Pine.

http://vimeo.com/channels/249046#31033119

What a Flight

Good to see you are enjoying your retirement. Super footage. I missed Dancing with the Stars to watch footage of your journey. Videos inspired me to get back on my RV-4 Project.
Gerry
Repeat Builder

Chapter 4

OK,

The link below is Chapter 4. As the weekend passed, we find we have Johnson Creek to ourselves. Many flights are made to the local area strips. We enjoy the camp fire music and witness a windy night that produces loud cracks that echo through the valley as large trees fall before the driving winds. We break camp at Johnson creek and head to Montana to spend some time at West Fork lodge. There we enjoy great food, great company, fly fishing and mountain flying.

http://vimeo.com/channels/249046#31347697

RL, congratulations. You not only had a grand trip - you also gave it back to your fellow travelers, and brought the rest of us along as well. Many gifts, inside that package...

Jack

Chapter 5

Here is chapter five "Go West" of Incredible Journey.

http://vimeo.com/channels/249046#31947018

Aggressor departs for Florida and now there are three. We head for the West Coast. We originally wanted to go to Friday harbor; However, rainy weather changes our plans. We take in a tour of the Vans factory and camp at the Gold Beach airport. We continue to work our way South to arrive at Columbia, California where we tour the old Gold rush town a short walk from the airport.

Many thanks for the encouraging comments. Gerry, sorry about Dancing with the Stars, that is something my wife would never miss! Pound on that RV4 .... they are great planes!

Last edited:
AWESOME

I stumbled across the links on VAF and plugged them into my Vimeo account "Watch Later" option. Then I fired up the AppleTV and watched them on my Sony HDTV.

Absolutely awesome video. Can't wait to see more.

DR... VAF needs a "Motivational Videos" section with links and this movie at the top!!!

Can't wait to go camping....

DR... VAF needs a "Motivational Videos" section with links and this movie at the top!!!

I'll second that suggestion. One movie that I've had for years, and periodically watch, is Terry Jantze's (sp?) "Kitchener to Iqaluit" that tells the story of a trip Terry took with his daughter far north in Canada. Motivation on many levels.

I've also kept some spectacular photos of places I want to go for motivation, too. So maybe have a motivational section for movies, photos, and stories that inspire.

Another possibility - and I'm not sure I like this as well - would be a category for "missions." I'm talking flying a mission, not doing missionary work. The best popular example right now is Pilots n Paws. Visiting family, friends, going to work, and a host of other things, to places that are not necessary visited for their spectacular beauty. Or, perhaps to "do" something, or "accomplish" something rather than a vacation. A lot of Paul Dye's X-C stories fall into this category. And I'm sure there's overlap here.

While I've never been in the military, it seems to me that those people who fly missions, are more likely to really use their plane. For me, I am already planning missions to visit a grandchild 90 minutes away by RV and 5.5 hours away by car and missions to fish, to hunt, and to take my wife to the beach.

I'm not building a hanger queen.

Awesome!

I watched all five chapters and can't wait for more! These are great and make me want to saddle up and go west too... and I'm already IN the west!:p

When I clicked the link, I had no idea...

I just watched the first chapter, and was sort of gob smacked seeing people I know, places I fly, airports I hang out at and hangars I've been in. I see Mad Dog and Gringo at the local EAA Weds. lunch fairly often, and Gringo helped me track down a drive gear for my P-mags.

I can't wait to watch the rest. Great job!

I probably should get to work though.:eek:

Episode 6

How about it Fly Rod, you have made us wait toooo looong for the last few episodes. I just finished watching 1-5, again, and want to finish the story.

The best GA video out there...!

I think this would easily replace "One Six Right" as everyone's favorite GA video. I know it has for me. This is just the thing to make doubters of GA into converts.

Very cool, "may I have some more please" :eek:
I still need to edit my last trip also.
Great job, thanks for the links.

Long Journey

OK Guys,

Your enthusiasm has sparked a fire to finish the series. I have put other projects ahead of of episode six mainly because once I started six it became clear that I had not shot much video during the last part of the trip. I did shoot many stills, so the last of it might have more of a slide show feel to it. Nevertheless, I will make an effort to get-R-done. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.

To sea or not to sea

Chris,

Looks like it is to sea again this year. Guess I need to take advantage of the contract work while it last.

These documentries are way cool and very well done indeed. This is the exact reason i have bought a air park lot in your great country, So one day I can spend my Aussie winters in the US and go on great trips similar to this.
Please post more.

Paul

A Year Later

I obviously have not finished the last chapter of Incredible Journey yet, but I have been working on another project. Apache wrote a great song (he writes many songs) about aviation. After hearing it, I immediately pictured a music video to accompany his cool story about the near religious ecstasy of sport aviation and its similarities with military aviation. The song is performed by the all aviator Dreamland Band. Get your Church going duds on and click the link below. Like most churches, the Church of the High Speed Pass is passing a plate! If you feel like it, leave a $1.00 tip in the tip jar (green Button). It is quick, easy and all funds go to EAA Chapter 1379. :)

https://vimeo.com/68454342

From a guy who dabbles a bit in making videos..........that was dang excellent !! I can imagine how much editing went into it and the amount of footage you had to weed through !! Thank you so much for taking the time ! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Darren

Back