What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For RV-12 Finish Kit Builders

Peterk

Well Known Member
Question: How long will it take us to get an N number from the FAA? I ask because you need a bill of sale to get an N number. You need an N number to get a DAR inspection. Van's has historically sent the bill of sale with the finishing kit. With the 12 (which is still not certified as an SLSA to my knowledge) I get "we're workin on that." If we have to wait for the Powerplant and Avionics that's fine but I have heard horror stories of it taking anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks to get an N number. Maybe with ELSA's its different but I can't find anything anywhere. And of course we don't even have a confirmed FAA Administrator yet. I have a number reserved. Thoughts please. Thanks.

Registration should take about 2-3 weeks if everything is filled out properly. Type of aircraft doesn't matter.
You still have the firewall forward kit and the avionics kit to go. It's my understanding that it will still be 3 months or so before final kits will be shipped. I think you will have plenty of time.

I have been worried about the same thing. If we have to wait until the firewall forward kit comes to get a bill of sale and then wait another month or two to get the registration done, summer could be gone.

I had a thought the other day . If Vans would let us pay for a good share of what they think the price will be then send us bill of sale to get the paper work going. I know I am just dreaming and this wont happen ,but it was a crazy thought.

Brad Stiefvater

Thanks for your reply Mel . When I registered my last one (EAB) it only took 2 -3 weeks(Back in 1995)

I do know that most delays are due to mistakes on the application.

Brad Stiefvater

RV-12 Bill of Sale

Rec'd Bill of Sale for RV-12, N6GC last week. While at SNF I went by the FAA to pick up necessary paper work. During my conversation with the FAA person
I ask how long to register. He said it was about 4 to 6 weeks, maybe sooner. On the Affidavit of Ownership you will need the engine SN # and it will have tobe notorized. By the way I am building E-AB so ther rules differ for those building E-LSA.
Dale at Vans is heading up the FWF Kit and I inquired about the Motor Mount. He said they haven't even started on them. I did get to see the mount on the Red RV-12, it is a ring mount similar to a conical mount. The engine compartment is very crowded, reminds me of a uncowled boat motor.
We had another super good SNF this year. Excellant spring weather. Lots of airplanes and shopping.
Gerry
Threepeat Builder
RV-12, N6GC, waiting on FWF
J-3, NC88583

So now us ELSA'ers can hope for the powerplant next I guess instead of the avionics. Doesn't sound like too many 12's at Osh this year. 4 to 6 weeks doesn't sound good.

Back