What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jim Cone's fuselage pictures 10-16-08

jamescone

Well Known Member
It is starting to take shape and look like a fuselage part. A couple of thigs to be careful about is to make sure that you do not confuse the F-1203B with the F-1203P. They look exactly the same, but the holes will not line up when you try to assemble them if you have the wrong part. Use the F-1203P to rivet to the bulkhead assembly. Also, on page 21-02, figure 1, note the use of LP4-3 rivets in 2 of the holes that are machined out in the bulkhead. I didn't and then had to drill out a rivet when I used the long rivet that is used in all of the other holes. For the pictures go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12ConstructionPhotos101608#

thanks Jim

Jim ... thanks so much for the pictures and the heads up on what to watch out for.

Have you done any priming so far on the fuselage parts?

My fuselage kit was to be shipped the week of 10/14/2008 ... so far no word on actual delivery date.

Thanks again, Jerry

Clarification and a new problem

I think Jim means 1204P and not 1203P.

What I meant was don't confuse 1203B with the 1204P. They look the same, but won't line up with the holes if you use the wrong part.

There was another problem that I ran into. My F-1224L baggage floor flange that mates to the F-1204D was not bent to 90 degrees like the right one. It will be easier to bend this flange to the correct angle before you rivet it. I did not notice this until I had it riveted and started clecoeing the right one. I then used a 2 by 4 and a hammer to bend it down to the correct angle. Using a seaming plier to bend it would have been much easier.

There was another problem that I ran into. My F-1224L baggage floor flange that mates to the F-1204D was not bent to 90 degrees like the right one.

Jim, I'm not saying that your flange angle wasn't incorrectly bent, just mentioning that I don't think it is supposed to be 90 degrees. I believe the flange needs to be bent slightly beyond 90 deg because I think the baggage floor has a slight slope relative to the centersection bulkhead (but I have been wrong before).

Jim, I'm not saying that your flange angle wasn't incorrectly bent, just mentioning that I don't think it is supposed to be 90 degrees. I believe the flange needs to be bent slightly beyond 90 deg because I think the baggage floor has a slight slope relative to the centersection bulkhead (but I have been wrong before).

Scott,

My left floor flange was bent about 45 degrees. The other one was close to 90 degrees. It may have been over 90, but it fit the floor ribs perfectly. The left one had to be bent up to even get the ribs in position for assembly. So far, that is the only problem that I have had and it was easily corrected. I love this kit.

Scott,

My left floor flange was bent about 45 degrees. The other one was close to 90 degrees. It may have been over 90, but it fit the floor ribs perfectly. The left one had to be bent up to even get the ribs in position for assembly. So far, that is the only problem that I have had and it was easily corrected. I love this kit.

Hmmm....45 Deg? That was not very close at all...somebody fell asleep:p

RV-12 Fuselage Kit

I had to slightly bend both flanges. It is amazing how precisely all the parts fit. Kits have really came along way since the RV-6 I built in 1993. Has anyone heard anything about when Vans will be accepting orders for the remaining kits?
Gerry
RV-9, N92GC
J-3, NC88583
RV-12, N6GC, (assembling fuselage)

Back